Sundown Audio

My test: Taramps T20.2k

TaylorFade

The company owner keeps saying, it's not made for 1 ohm resistive....okay, so at exactly what impedance is it supposed to make 20k watts?

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

The company owner keeps saying, it's not made for 1 ohm resistive....okay, so at exactly what impedance is it supposed to make 20k watts?

page 97 of the manual that comes with the amplifier under the section labeled " you can only run this amp IF"

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

as far as im concerned 1 ohm resistive is 1 ohm right? or is it 1 ohm stabel and run it st 2.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

as far as im concerned 1 ohm resistive is 1 ohm right? or is it 1 ohm stabel and run it st 2.

depends on the reason that it blew... if it smoked and you were running it at 1 ohm then the ohm-age should have been at 2. if it smoked at 2 ohms then the issue is the way you had it mounted, type of music you were playing or the temperature outside..

Hopefully this answers all your questions

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

depends on the reason that it blew... if it smoked and you were running it at 1 ohm then the ohm-age should have been at 2. if it smoked at 2 ohms then the issue is the way you had it mounted, type of music you were playing or the temperature outside..

Hopefully this answers all your questions

lol, A+

I think its an exchange rate thing or maybe brazil uses metric resistance.

lmao.

this is gold.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

TEST IS FLAWED, this is what happens when you don't follow direction. No wonder he keeps blowing them up. Now, T Series amplifiers (does not include the T500D)

Ohm Stability capability-

Same Recommendations as HD Amplifiers

Do not wire Below the Nominal(Impedance, not resistance) ohm value the amplifier is rated for.

For competition, this is fine for BURPS only. Sustained or repetitive burps are not suggested!

Reason- These amplifiers are not overbuilt to withstand that kind of abuse hence the radical low price for high power.

Didn't. Amp is rated for 1 ohm. Was wired to 1 ohm.

Impedance is resistance. Perhaps you mean DCR?

Green is kind of a "no shit" statement.

DC Voltage working range-

Power Supply- 10.2v - 15.0v

Protection Range- 10.5v - 15.0v)

(That means physical range is 10.5 - 13.0v)

How does power supply range being from 10.2-15v and Protection range being from 10.5v-15v mean the "physical range" is 10.5-13v?

But beyond that... voltage drop was well within operating parameters.

Operating Working Range under 100% signal output-

(this is maximum output until clipping and any % of distortion afterwords)

10.5v- 13.0v

Reason-

These amplifiers use what you could call a rail booster which ramps up the voltage internally to provide enormous amount of power and efficiency below 14.4v. This works wonders for people who cannot sustain alternator voltage.

The only downside to that, in a sense, is if the user CAN sustain charging voltage to power the entire amplifier system under maximum load, then it will put too much added stress to the amplifier overtime and eventually damage it.

There are only about 10,000 ways to lower voltage a few tenths even if charging is sustained!

10,000 ways to lower charging voltage? Name 9,000.

So, basically the amps are designed for shit electrical. That's an excellent philosophy in theory. It's a shame the amp went into self destruct before I could test its protection. Err... ampS. Plural.

Remember, we are not talking about DC voltage above 13.0v at all times. ONLY when the signal is at maximum potential and especially clipping over 13.0v. More detailed illustration below in graph.

Ok... so all I have to do is makes sure to stay below 13v when it's going full tilt. Basically just make sure I don't have 2,000A worth of alt. I don't think that will be a problem.

Cyclic Vibrational Capabiity(mounting amp on box or wall)-

Better, Average

Reason- The weight of the amplifier is much heavier than any other amplifier they make(minus the High Voltage series). Between the 10.9K to the 20.2K, weight varies between ~22 - 32lbs per amp vs a maximum on the HD8k at 13.5lbs!

The 10.9K - 20.2K use multiple transformers resisting the capability of a single larger one adding weight centered in one area.

These amplifiers are more resistant to damages from cyclic resonances and vibrations but no amplifier on earth is completely resistant. Use good layout technique when deciding on where to mount electronics.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

What does the impedance graph on the right actually mean?

Same answer as HD Amplifiers

Answer-

Do not wire speaker setup to an amplifier where it's Nominal rated impedance is lower than the rating of the amplifier.

IE- Dual 2ohm may typically be dual 1.4(1.4 being Resistance, not impedance)

Dual 2ohm in this case is 1ohm nominal or also 0.7 DCR(Direct Current Resistance)

The graph above indicates ACTUAL Impedance the amplifier sees during play!

That means it's suggested to maintain above 1.4ohms actual Impedance(not resistance) for longterm output. Sometimes a or more frequencies can dip below 1.4 but this is fine because when wiring to a proper nominal load, Actual impedance below 1.4ohms will not be sustained or in the range of your average impedance curve.

So... this amp makes DC? Or AC? I'm confused as to why DCR is important here. Do you know how coil impedance is derived?

I hope this clears everything up with speculation, etc..

Oh for sure. Clear as mud.

Please... PLEASE show me somebody making rated on this amp. Somebody. Anybody. Including the person that wrote that quoted nugget.

I'm not trying to be an ass. But if you're going to throw stones....

Taylor, do you have any experience testing any of the other brazil amps?

I think we can all agree that the basic philosophy behind these amps is great, higher output voltage with lower current to achieve the same power with greater efficiency. The problem is that whoever designed the boards taramps is using, has not designed it with a real world application in mind (at least not OUR real world application)

Maybe banda or someone else has something more robust? Probably wishful thinking for now lol

Team NorthWestSPL

I think we can all agree that the basic philosophy behind these amps is great, higher output voltage with lower current to achieve the same power with greater efficiency. The problem is that whoever designed the boards taramps is using, has not designed it with a real world application in mind (at least not OUR real world application)

Maybe banda or someone else has something more robust? Probably wishful thinking for now lol

I keep hearing (from their reps) that Banda is more robust and will handle a resistive load. But I haven't had the chance to test one yet.

I've owned four or five other Brazilians including SounDigital and Stetsom. This was pre-"my test" days though. And I never had any trouble out of them. But then again, I also didn't run the balls off of them either.

One thing that gets me is... the amp ratings. How are they arriving at them? Are they on resistive loads? Are they calculated? Is it a guess? Is it a clamp? What? I FULLY realize that Taramps is likely to have a much better and more expensive and more accurate bench than I do, but how are they certifying their amps? I'd like to know or see. Is it akin to dynamic mode on the AD-1? Or is it closer to Certified?

I know this seems like a bash thread. And I was perhaps a little miffed at the time of posting- That's my bad. But let's say I tested it at 2 ohms... it probably would have made 7k and survived. Is that better than making 13k and dying?

Even if you "blame" me for killing it... how do you explain the result? You can't. Didn't make rated at 1 ohm and plenty of voltage on an uncertified peak/hold type measurement. you can blame me for running it too low. You can blame me for too much voltage. You can blame me for whatever you want. but you can't blame me for not giving the amp every chance to make power. Period.

I keep hearing (from their reps) that Banda is more robust and will handle a resistive load. But I haven't had the chance to test one yet.

I've owned four or five other Brazilians including SounDigital and Stetsom. This was pre-"my test" days though. And I never had any trouble out of them. But then again, I also didn't run the balls off of them either.

One thing that gets me is... the amp ratings. How are they arriving at them? Are they on resistive loads? Are they calculated? Is it a guess? Is it a clamp? What? I FULLY realize that Taramps is likely to have a much better and more expensive and more accurate bench than I do, but how are they certifying their amps? I'd like to know or see. Is it akin to dynamic mode on the AD-1? Or is it closer to Certified?

I know this seems like a bash thread. And I was perhaps a little miffed at the time of posting- That's my bad. But let's say I tested it at 2 ohms... it probably would have made 7k and survived. Is that better than making 13k and dying?

Even if you "blame" me for killing it... how do you explain the result? You can't. Didn't make rated at 1 ohm and plenty of voltage on an uncertified peak/hold type measurement. you can blame me for running it too low. You can blame me for too much voltage. You can blame me for whatever you want. but you can't blame me for not giving the amp every chance to make power. Period.

Seriously Taylor stop explaining yourself. The 90% of people know this amp is junk and there is no need for you to explain that to the other 10%. With the internet these days everyone is an expert. You had this guy cory32 make a long post about these amps parameters and there is a good change that he has NEVER ran this amp before nor will he comment on your replys as the majority of the ones he mad makes absolutely no sense. Continue to do you and post your results. If folks have a few questions kewl but this has blown way over. Keep doing you man..

Archived