Is this enough power for my setup?

Not all bigger alts need a smaller pulley, my DC power alt's pulley is the same size as my stock alt.

As far as alt's go hairpin 6 phase is where it's at.

true.. hairpin or bust.. i hate my singer alt for that reason. makes shit power at 650rpm. wanted hairpin but the case i need does not allow it and i needed 350a for the DC5k

OP thats because in most alternators when an alt is deigned to kick out 300+ amps at full rev, it puts out proportionally less at idle when compared to lets say a 240A version. Its going to have a steeper roll off below max RPM than it's lower rated counterpart.

Portionally less meaning that the 320amp alt puts out more power than the 240amp alt at idle? Mechman told me the difference was negligible. I'm pretty sure if there was any reason to buy the Mechman 320 alt in my case they would have definitely to to sell me the more expensive alt.

And there is no doubt in my mind that the person that told you this is correct.

The idle output of those 2 alternators is probably not enough to make a difference that you will hear in your system.

Ok that makes sense. I guess I am just confused when you say I need a solid electrical with a powerful alternator. I forget the exact wording you used so forgive me. Does this mean I need an alt that is stronger than the mechamn 240amp. I mean what other options do I have?

OP, sorry for rambling so much, but I really enjoy these types of conversations.

So to answer your question, your system needs approx 149A continuous to run at full potential on music. With an OEM alt rating of 60A you should allow for about 51A for your vehicle at full draw, like head lights, heater, etc..

149 + 51 = 200

If you had 200A of current available at all times at approx 14V then your vehicle and your system would be happy with or without a 2nd or upgraded battery.

OP, sorry for rambling so much, but I really enjoy these types of conversations.

So to answer your question, your system needs approx 149A continuous to run at full potential on music. With an OEM alt rating of 60A you should allow for about 51A for your vehicle at full draw, like head lights, heater, etc..

149 + 51 = 200

If you had 200A of current available at all times at approx 14V then your vehicle and your system would be happy with or without a 2nd or upgraded battery.

But, at idle, would the 240amp alt be enough by itself? I feel like this is where the upgraded battery would be extremely useful.

Get the alt and at least an agm batt for under the hood.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

OP thats because in most alternators when an alt is deigned to kick out 300+ amps at full rev, it puts out proportionally less at idle when compared to lets say a 240A version. Its going to have a steeper roll off below max RPM than it's lower rated counterpart.

Portionally less meaning that the 320amp alt puts out more power than the 240amp alt at idle? Mechman told me the difference was negligible. I'm pretty sure if there was any reason to buy the Mechman 320 alt in my case they would have definitely to to sell me the more expensive alt.

The idle output of those 2 alternators is probably not enough to make a difference that you will hear in your system.

Ok that makes sense. I guess I am just confused when you say I need a solid electrical with a powerful alternator. I forget the exact wording you used so forgive me. Does this mean I need an alt that is stronger than the mechamn 240amp. I mean what other options do I have?

Although I can't personally vouch for Mechman's alts, I wouldn't hesitate to run his products because many reputable people stand by him. If his 240A alt will give you at least 200A when you need it under whatever conditions, then I would say it will be just fine. I've heard good things about Singer, and can speak from 1st hand knowledge about the quality of DC Power alts.

Ok that makes sense. I guess I am just confused when you say I need a solid electrical with a powerful alternator. I forget the exact wording you used so forgive me. Does this mean I need an alt that is stronger than the mechan 240amp. I mean what other options do I have?

Although I can't personally vouch for Mechman's alts, I wouldn't hesitate to run his products because many reputable people stand by him. If his 240A alt will give you at least 200A when you need it under whatever conditions, then I would say it will be just fine. I've heard good things about Singer, and can speak from 1st hand knowledge about the quality of DC Power alts.

Awesome! So are DC alt more expensive than Mechman. If I remember correctly, you have to submit a form on their website right?

Btw, thanks for all the help! Everyone! I really appreciate it!

Archived