Sonic Electronix

engine ground to chasis

^ failed.

I'll find a link if info from snafu

Oh you think so?

Do me a favor go unhook the negative battery terminal and tell me how well all your electronics that are connected to that "chassis ground" still function.

With the engine running, they'll run just fine.

Because with the engine running the alt is becoming the grounding point not the chassis.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I have seen a car run just fine with no battery. Gave a friend who's battery was stolen a jump he drove 35 miles home no issue. He then continued getting jump starts for a week to go to work and back home. That was 70 miles per day with no battery. Just the alt.

Recommended no, possible yes.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Run it with no batt and watch how fast you fry your alt.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I see no one here mention the chassis as ground. Just the battery and alt.

I see the chassis mentioned Sa return path.

Maybe I missed something.

Fyi

The chassis is not ground even when the alt or battery is connected. It's just a path never a ground.

Point being

With an alternator that can fully supply the electrical needs of your vehicle and it's "extras" then its is ground. If voltage across enough for the battery to pitch in then the battery neg post becomes ground.

OK, I'm REAL glad that I asked this question. Here is the answer:

A. Current flows from the battery into the amplifier and is returned via ground to the negative terminal of the battery.

B. Current flows from the alternator into the amplifier and is returned via ground to the case of the alternator.

:)

True. I agree 100%. I wouldn't recommend it. BUT it would prove battery negative isn't ground.

well no shit the alternator case is the ground.. the argument here is the chassis. the chassis is not ground until the battery or alternator is wired directly to it.. you can build and wire your car without even using the chassis.. it will take lots of wire and not cost efficient so the chassis is used as a bridge/shortcut

Right here you say the chassis is ground after connecting a battery or alt to it.

You said chassis is ground right there.

So far I've seen you post that the chaos is ground as long a a battery or alt is connected to it, that the battery is ground, and that the alt is ground.

There is only one ground. The chassis is never it but just a road it uses.

There are 2 voltages in a car.

Alt voltage

Battery voltage

When advice battery voltage your running of the alt voltage. Meaning the alt is ground.

When running below battery voltage your on the battery voltage. Meaning the battery is ground.

Never the chassis

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

if you read my post you will see i use chassis as a bridge/path. i even posted saying "Ground" is just a code word which, in this case, refers to the "current return common" circuit node.

when i say chassis is ground when connected to battery i meant its grounded. chassis is not ground and the only way i would wire my alternator to it is if my chassis is wired to the battery. a bad battery to chassis connection is like not having the battery connected and can damage the alternator

True. I agree 100%. I wouldn't recommend it. BUT it would prove battery negative isn't ground.

It is with the car off.

Archived