Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Aero port box design


betweenmatt

Recommended Posts

Posted

Is it really as simple as building a box with some bracing and flared pvc? I've been looking all over the internet for examples, and thats what it seems to be. I've done the calculations on torres calc so I know the size box I need, but I'm a little bit at a loss when it comes to the internal makings. How far in does the port need to go in the box? What is the difference between one, two, four etc ports?

Oh and would it be a bad idea to port into the cab from the trunk, since I don't have removable seats I could send it up through carpet thing under the rear windshield.

Id really like to build this box tomorrow lol.

Posted

Aeroports are actually my favorite type of port because of they're ease. You can literally put the port inside the box or outside the box or both. When it comes to port area however that's when you need to do some calculation. I can't give you any help in that area without box specs though. However I would shoot for about 12 inches per cube give or take for a flatter response. And closer to 16 for a peakier response. I've been messing with aeros for a bit and I would much prefer them over slot ports unless your restricted. But for a trunk build like you have it would be a very good idea to send the port through the opening if your seats don't go down

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Posted

Aeroports are actually my favorite type of port because of they're ease. You can literally put the port inside the box or outside the box or both. When it comes to port area however that's when you need to do some calculation. I can't give you any help in that area without box specs though. However I would shoot for about 12 inches per cube give or take for a flatter response. And closer to 16 for a peakier response. I've been messing with aeros for a bit and I would much prefer them over slot ports unless your restricted. But for a trunk build like you have it would be a very good idea to send the port through the opening if your seats don't go down

Port per cube does absolutely nothing, don't spread incorrect information.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

Aeroports are actually my favorite type of port because of they're ease. You can literally put the port inside the box or outside the box or both. When it comes to port area however that's when you need to do some calculation. I can't give you any help in that area without box specs though. However I would shoot for about 12 inches per cube give or take for a flatter response. And closer to 16 for a peakier response. I've been messing with aeros for a bit and I would much prefer them over slot ports unless your restricted. But for a trunk build like you have it would be a very good idea to send the port through the opening if your seats don't go down

Port per cube does absolutely nothing, don't spread incorrect information.

Not trying. But how would you figure port area then. I was just stating what worked for me

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Posted

You determine it by cone area, xmax and tuning frequency.

This is a good quick calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

You determine it by cone area, xmax and tuning frequency.

This is a good quick calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I see, why does it give a minimum of 7.5" aero for a 12" driver with a 35mm xmax

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Posted

Aeroports are actually my favorite type of port because of they're ease. You can literally put the port inside the box or outside the box or both. When it comes to port area however that's when you need to do some calculation. I can't give you any help in that area without box specs though. However I would shoot for about 12 inches per cube give or take for a flatter response. And closer to 16 for a peakier response. I've been messing with aeros for a bit and I would much prefer them over slot ports unless your restricted. But for a trunk build like you have it would be a very good idea to send the port through the opening if your seats don't go down

Keep in mind that when you put the port into a box further you decrease air volume, when you move it out you increase air volume. These things all need to be accounted for during the design stage.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Posted

You determine it by cone area, xmax and tuning frequency.

This is a good quick calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I see, why does it give a minimum of 7.5" aero for a 12" driver with a 35mm xmax

Because of the amount of air being moved. The port per cube rule came along when speakers had a much much lower Xmax.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

Is it really as simple as building a box with some bracing and flared pvc? I've been looking all over the internet for examples, and thats what it seems to be. I've done the calculations on torres calc so I know the size box I need, but I'm a little bit at a loss when it comes to the internal makings. How far in does the port need to go in the box? What is the difference between one, two, four etc ports?

Oh and would it be a bad idea to port into the cab from the trunk, since I don't have removable seats I could send it up through carpet thing under the rear windshield.

Id really like to build this box tomorrow lol.

The port can be as far into the box as you like, its length is determined by the tuning frequency you seek along with the cross secitonal area of the port and the box air volume. When you have multiple ports you are adding more cross sectional area, which means the ports will need to be longer in order to maintain the same tuning frequency. But more cross sectional area also brings the port air velocity down. You want it between 5-10% of the speed of sound in order to prevent port air noise.

This is why it is important to understand WinISD or have TermLab. Torres is a good calculator for panel sizes but doesn't give you any information on response, air speed, etc.

Here is a massively outdated video, I need to make a new one, but the content is there:

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Posted

You determine it by cone area, xmax and tuning frequency.

This is a good quick calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I'm not trying to start an argument or spread mis-information. i've tried that and several other ways but port area/cube has yielded me better results. that calculator is recommending me a 3.25" diameter port for an 8" Kicker sub on 400 watts. I built a few boxes for this sub and the best result was a single flared 2" port tuned to 30hz. something for a box I built for 2 15" RE SE subs, it recommended over 100 sq in of port. yielded the best result on less than 60 sq in of port.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9689 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...