Perks of going to COLLEGE.

keeping tabs in your build gives me hope for mine. Still unsure if I'm going to do two x12's or one 15" zv4.

either way, with 2 8" jlzr800 in the sails I should be gtg

keep us posted on how much air space your squeezing outta that box

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

• 2 weeks later...

Frank, I respect your hustle. This has been a good read.

Update on the motor. Every morning she idles rough, 1000-1500 back and forth til she smooths out. She still makes the car shake at times. When in gear she does not see the load of the transmission to decrease her idle to 650 like most engines do. Even on Youtube, people with Firebirds and Camaros with the 3.8L, a good running one, the idle will decrease in gear.

Anyway, the manual and internet both say the same thing "Irratic idle, rough idle, car vibration at idle"= Timing chain (causing an imbalance as the pistons fire) maybe one of the culprits. It can also be the reason I keep getting intermittent misfire codes as well.

So......... 5 hrs later........ It's a bad angle, but the dots do not line up as they should. Looks to be a hair retarded.

camarotiming%20chain%20010_zpsojy1nngq.j

Once the cover came off, I heard something hit the floor. Can't find it, but once the tensioner came out, well it came off in pieces!

Here it's actually just resting on the spring. It broke off the perch. I think the sound I heard was part of the tensioner.

There's a 2mm groove on the tensioner. I think this is causing the misaligned dots.

camarotiming%20chain%20014_zpsz1jeygiv.j

Another look. I'm going to have my neighbor help me with top dead center. I think I'm already there, just want to be sure.

camarotiming%20chain%20016_zpspwhwyugx.j

From my understanding, most shops charge up to $1200 to do this. I see why. It was a pain in the ass to break the bolt loose. 45 sec of heat + a new 700lb impact gun and she came off easily.

I really hope this solves the issue with the idle.

-Frank

Welcome back and nope. I did change out the oil pump, because it had too much play. I'm at a loss. Still has that idle issue. I need to check the compression.

It would be a nice light/easy motor to pull out and do my first rebuild on. Lisa wanted to me to get rid of it.

i've been looking at a 2010 Volvo C70 T5 hard top convertible. Just trade in both vehicles, and make $1k payments after the summer to pay it off quicker.

-Frank

Well, I got home from work at 0830 and removed the spark plugs to do a compression test. The HarborFreight kit is complete garbage. The last kit read about 100 lbs of compression which was the faulty gauge. The threads didn't match up with the replacement kit so I purchased an Actron Compression kit for $32.00 from AdvanceAuto. Well worth the investment! The compression should be with in 10% of each other.

Cylinder #1

IMAG1418_zpszinzkhnb.jpg

Cylinder #2

IMAG1419_zpsdtfki7ph.jpg

Cylinder #3

IMAG1416_zpsmko2gwyi.jpg

Cylinder #4

IMAG1420_zpsu7jh5wbx.jpg

Cylinder #5

IMAG1415_zpsuxc746hd.jpg

Cylinder #6

IMAG1422_zpsx7a7wmes.jpg

This car might be a piece of shit, but she will run right after I am done with her. Can't wait to rip out this motor and buy a rebuild kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived