Perks of going to COLLEGE.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a v8 will require suspension upgrades, transmission, and a new rear end. Much cheaper to make the v6 more beefy

Keep at it Frank

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Doing a v8 will require suspension upgrades, transmission, and a new rear end. Much cheaper to make the v6 more beefy

Keep at it Frank

You sure about all that?

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Keep at it Frank

You sure about all that?

Come on, you know he's not lol.

Even if you did(you dont) need to swap v8 springs and shit in that's all cheap stuff at the junk yard.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Keep at it Frank

You sure about all that?
Come on, you know he's not lol.

Even if you did(you dont) need to swap v8 springs and shit in that's all cheap stuff at the junk yard.

I know he doesnt, I just wanted to see what he would say after he just made up a boat load of bullshit lol. I just did a quick Google seach, a bolt on, cammed 100 shot 3.8 put down 320rwhp, that is what a mild bolt on ls1 will put down. A nice nitrous kit will set you back, at least $1000, plus what ever a v6 cam kit cost plus all the bolt ons. Or you could spend $500-600 on a lid, long tubes and true duals for a ls1.

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the shop to call me. He told me there was a back log of a few wks. It's been a month-yesterday.

The owner wanted me to bring the pistons/rods to be mic'ed. I let him measure the pistons for $50 which he said I needed 3 replaced.

He wanted to charge me $60 to measure the rod for roundness. I told showed him the bearings still attached to each rod. They all had a boat load of meat on them, just scratched on the inside (the bearing, not the rod end), not egged out in any way. He agreed. lol. Saved me $60. It's the add on's to the bill-that I want to avoid.

Going to buy a piston kit and the ZZP cam soon though.

I can't wait for this car to hit the road. I am slowly getting alittle tired of the BMW and may retire her for a bit under a tarp. The CL prices are actually going up on the E36 like mine- $5500 for a convertible with a mint interior. She needs new leather seats and some door panel skin reglued. She's due for her **regular/mandatory** 50k front & rear strut/shock replacement, as well as the front lower control arms, and the inner and outer tie rods. She's starting to develop a mild front end shake again....right on time!!! Thank you German Engineers for nailing the life span of your products!!! I put 112k mi. on her since 2010, so this will be my 3rd suspension. It's about $600-700 if I do it myself but I have no garage to do it in. Been raining daily down here in FL and she's boring with the top up. A shop would charge me @ $2k to do it!!! So right now, I alternate between the Jimmy and the Bimmer about everyother week.

I'll keep you guys posted.

-Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update on this project.

1. I signed over the lowered Jimmy to Christian because his 4x4 Ram's transmission went out. The Jimmy had a parasitic drain if you didn't drive it every day. Lisa said he was over joyed to get the truck. He's already talking about putting a small block in it since it's pretty sound truck otherwise. It was my very first overhaul....not sure I would to it again. I went nuts replacing EVERYTHING. LKQ was my play ground.

2. I installed a reman'ed crank purchased from AdvanceAuto 9/15/16. I install and measure everything and the connecting rod side play is way out of spec! Book says side play should be 0.005- 0.0150 in. for <1999 3800 Series ll engines. Only one thing can wear down metal- oil starvation. The crank and rod side play should be nice and snug. Damn it. Have to rip it out and return it. It has a 90 day warranty. I will have to bring one connecting rod and feeler gauge to be closer to 0.0150" than I have now.

I have yet to measure the piston to rod clearance. :D

Here are my readings.

Journal Side Play (inch) Connecting Rod Width (inch)

#1 0.0365 0.8455

#2 0.0440 0.8450

#3 0.0310 0.8450

#4 0.0410 0.8490* I;m assuming the width should be 0.8500" from the factory? Unfortunately they do no longer make this rod!

#5 0.0435 0.8450

#6 0.0435 0.8455

My options:

1. Only way around this problem is to buy a new crank to get the side clearances right. SMH. At least I'm learning what it takes to rebuild a motor properly. Makes me wonder about those reman'ed engines, what the tolerances really are?!?!?!?!?!

2. I looked them up. $3k for a 3 yr warranty at Engine Lab and Tampa Bay Engine Shop. The motor is out, so I wonder if they would charge me less.

3. A used motor with 65K in Oklahoma is going for $1530 shipped but I keep reading horror story of people who dealt with SWengines. Funny how the same engine is offered by Engine and Transmission World! lol. Remann's, SWEngines, and Engine and Trans world all have contact numbers with "ext.3". I read how some of these online companies are actually from the same mother company.

4. I can just stop this build and buy a 98 Firebird, Adult owned for $2900 locally. Painted properly 4 yrs ago. Maintained by the same mechanic shop for the past 8 yrs. She's a Pharmacist, so she didn't rag on it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5860986731.html

5. Buy a Genuine GM Parts motor for $2125.74 which includes shipping! This way, I'll have a fresh transmission, a new non leaking 200hp motor, fresh differential, fresh rear suspension. All I'll need is to re-do the front suspension and the Camaro is practically "new". Good for at least 3 yrs.

I test drove a Pontiac Formula the other day. Loved the power, but 13/20 mpg is silly.

-Frank

-Frank

Archived