Steve, Tim, Fiberglassers. Chime in please. (Glassing door panels)

You shouldn't need kitty hair at all. your going to want to use fleece or grill cloth to get the shape. the guy above me is right about the bondo brand resin it sucks. walmart sells other brands tho. your going to want to get some bondo, spot filler, cheese grader file, and electric sander of some sort. Any were were the fiber glass meets plastic your going to need to hit with some high grit sand paper or the cheese grater. so the glass has something to bite.

wow that door looks just like the ones ive been working on.....

mine are the first ones ive ever done so its hard for me to give you concrete advice.  Its not my first fiberglass job though either.  I think it might be a little tough for this to be the first time fiberglass job at this level of difficulty.  I would personally mess with some other small experimental projects first and learn how the chemicals work before tackeling this.

best thing to do would be to just look at a few of my older threads and the things groundpounder2k is doing and take it from there.

Same car lol. :) Yea, i know it's a big task to start on, but go big or go home right? Anyways, like i said before, i can't screw it up, b/c if i cant save it, it's going in the trash, and i'll just buy a new one. So in stead of trashing it immediatly, i figured why not.

yes sir,I buy all my stuff from us composites..

cool. I'll check your supplies thread. Also, I've thouroughly read, and studdied you guys build threads, and i feel confident i can do somehting. Steve, you too, look at this below, and see if this is the right rder of what to do.

First of all, will the resin stick to the stirofoamish material on the door panel, do i need to sand it all off, or line it with tin foil. I want to keep the original door panel, for attatching to the door.

Anyways...

resin/kitty hair it

sand it.

then i shuold have a rough shape, that i can mount my ring too, and then hook it up.

You shouldn't need kitty hair at all. your going to want to use fleece or grill cloth to get the shape. the guy above me is right about the bondo brand resin it sucks. walmart sells other brands tho. your going to want to get some bondo, spot filler, cheese grader file, and electric sander of some sort. Any were were the fiber glass meets plastic your going to need to hit with some high grit sand paper or the cheese grater. so the glass has something to bite.

Sounds like a good idea to cover the whole door with fleece instead of kitty hairing it. Any oher opinions anyone?

the biggest thing that concerns me is if you wrap the intire door with fleece ,how do you get it to follow all of the contours and such....I agree with wrapping the door ,,,but not with fleece.

Fleece eats up too much resin...

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........

the biggest thing that concerns me is if you wrap the intire door with fleece ,how do you get it to follow all of the contours and such....I agree with wrapping the door ,,,but not with fleece.

Fleece eats up too much resin...

staples? that way it will lay down in the low parts. and if i don't pull it too tight, then when it gets heavy(wet), it'll drop down. then just be carefull not to wrinkle it? if not fleece, then what?

do you have a Jo Anne fabrics near you,or any fabric stores,

you need swimsuit material........yea it sounds silly but its the shit

or Tricot

both are thin and super stretchy,when the resin is applyd itll be strong enough to apply matt,and youll use about 1/4 the amount of resin...

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........

I did these a while ago for my girlfriens 02 civic

and they were garbage....

196462_301_full.jpg

196462_302_full.jpg

196462_306_full.jpg

196462_304_full.jpg

196462_305_full.jpg

I used cheap resin and they warped so bad,they wouldn go back on the door. >:(

Kitty hair or "dynaglass" will give it more strength and help keep the fiberglass from warping to bad.

I alway use it.....

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

You use the fleece to get the general shape. Ive used grill cloth then put the kitty hair on the back for strength. to get the shape you use contact adhesive or what ever glue you use to glue your carpet to your box with. when i did my dash i taped tinfoil every were and glassed it inside the truck. i had much better results.

first try yuk

IMG00008.jpg

2nd try much better

IMG00024.jpg

IMG00049.jpg