Second Skin Audio

What sub is this??

Deeznutz

What's up guys. I purchased this sub at a pawn shop. It came in a 18x16x12 (external dimensions) carpeted enclosure. So internal is 1.45cf. The box was pretty heavy which is why I pulled out the sub and when I saw the size of this monster I haggled until I got the sub for $30.00. :D

1422393927823_zpsf1cd25a6.jpg

Question is, what is this thing? From what can tell, it has better-sewn in tinsel leads.

IMAG0688_zps10faaf48.jpg

It has obviously been re-coned with a thicker surround.

IMAG0689_zpsa9d43949.jpg

I had to sand down the oxidation present on the magnet structure as well as the basket.

IMAG0690_zps0896d611.jpg

Though hard to tell, it comes with a 3" voice coil, though the pic angle makes it look smaller. lol.

In parallel, (if I'm saying it correctly) the sub reads 2.3 Ohm.

IMAG0692_zps64fd8cf1.jpg

I googled, Eclipse subs, Fi Subs, CT Sounds. They all seem to have the same old school basket and similar looking magnet.
This thing is heavy. I thought it was an Eclipse sub, because of the relatively small enclosure it was it. I read the Eclipse were

small thiele parameters like 1.25. If this sub displaces @ .12 cf to .15 cf than the 1.40 is pretty close to the enclosure that was

made for it @ 1.45. Just a thought.

Any ideas?? Thanks for looking.

-Frank

Looks kinda like an American Bass vfl woofer for a few years ago. It appears to have a recone on the sub though.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Here is the sub I was talking about in a 10" version.

DSC00671.jpg

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

• 10 months later...

Thread revisited.

Looks like I finally found my answer!!

While liquidating some of subwoofers on Ebay I revisited this mystery sub.

By the looks of it, the magnet's markings or spots/stains look very similar, if not identical to mine!!!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143504-fs-tc9-motor-and-hcca-basket-price-drop/

-Frank

yea. that is a tc sound motor the actual model who knows since they had many similar for multple customers such as lighnting audio, orion, eclipse, audiopulse, and I think Im forgetting another one as well.
chances are high that it was rebuilt judging by that basket, and the basket alone is nothing to base brand off of since so many companies use those same exact baskets and is irrelevant.

Anyways this is the proper basket that was to be used with that motor, and anything else is just gimping the woofer since they use a smaller diameter spider.

DSC03604.jpg

AudioFantanicz, yeah I figured the baskets themselves are universal. Since the guy in the other SMD thread had a Orion HCCA basket and tc9 motor, no way to tell if it was an Orion HCCA 12D or if he just had these 2 laying around. He is no longer on the forum to verify it.

I do have a question about the basket you posted. The black dots on the basket, are those caps? The motor I have has 4 holes on the top ridge of the motor. Wondering if it lines up? The holes appear to be threaded.

-Frank

Pshhh if it bumps.... and costs 30 bucks.... who the hell cares? :lol:

I know. I just want to find the other magnet and build up both. Dual 2 or Dual 4. I read the TC9 motors have alot of force. The Eclipse and Orion HCCA 10 and 12 have TC motors. Mine does not have spacer like the HCCA and Eclipse subs so. I emailed one guy with the Eclipse. He has double stacked magnets. I need to email the other guys to see it they have a single thick magnet or not. Need to know more info on them before a make a purchase. There's 3 Orion's on Ebay now. I really want a blown one since it's the cheapest way to go.

-Frank

Archived