Sundown Audio

SQ 4 Channel Amplifier

vitochelopez

Budget and SQ usually dont go wel together but I thought I would ask. I need a min 100x4 rms and a very clean sounding. I use to have a Audio Systems F4 (now Mosconi). Was a great amp. I now have an Optidrive and it sounds pretty good but not quite what I wanted. I had my eye on a couple that I heard sound very nice for the price, one is the MB Quart Referance series and the other is the Soundstream Referance? So as yo ucan see aruond the $200-$250 range, shoot lower would be great but I doubt it.

Not sure about soundstream since I have never run them, most people seem to think they are off on their power figures and not made very well from what I can tell. I would stay away from MB quart as well, they used to be quality back in the day but like many amps the amps are being made elsewhere than Germany in this case and the quality is WAY down, in fact I doubt they are being engineered in Germany anymore....could be wrong.

Audison, Arc Audio, DLS, used Linear Power you may be able to get a decent price, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate. All of those brands should give you decent sound quality. Look for amps with low THD as in less than 1% if you can. Also high dampening is good too, although the better the design the less you should have to worry about that I would hope. Look at Class A and Class A/B designs. Class D can be fine as well but typically Class A and AB have better SQ.

I would worry more about processing when it comes to SQ, if you have a good processor/crossover/eq then the amp is should be a benign device. It should provide clean power and shouldn't color the sound at all. A good amp will stay out of the way and not introduce anything.

These are specs of amp I have now

• Frequency Response : 10Hz~30KHz
  • THD: 0.1%
  • S/N Ratio : 100dB

it sounds okay but i was use to my Audio sytems i guess

I mean thats really respectable. I would suspect it has more to do with the tuning of your vehicle and your speakers then.

But you're saying the only thing that changed in your sound system was an amp and there is a big difference? Were you running a active crossover?

I don't believe dampening factor is big on mids/highs. I'd in not mistaken it's the amplifiers ability to control the cone from start and stops below 100hz. House mentioned amps above though will do good for what you are looking for.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I am really interested in runnig an active system now, so how exactly do i achieve this?

Start out with a "active capable" head unit.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived