Replacement Shocks - 2006 F150 FX4

anybody have any suggestions?

Front and rear are getting done here in a few weeks, really ASAP. 134k on the truck and I'm pretty sure it's stock shocks front and rear. Was considering Rancho's, just because Ford offers them factory on FX4's. Maybe even Bilsteins...had them on my chevy... Had KYB's on the Volvo, they weren't bad.

Also, I feel it need be noted that I am going to be putting a Hell Bent Steel Billet 2.5" or 3" leveling kit in the front, just a spacer.

Truck will be used as a daily driver/mini towpig with a fair amount of offroading mixed in. Has 305/50/20's currently, upgrading to slightly larger 33x12.5x20's here soon.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

king, fox, bilstein, old man emu are the brands I would go with. Rough Country is good, I have used them for all my lifts. I would go with the previously listed branded shocks though.

Fox makes coilovers for the F150s but they are pricey.

and if price is no object theres also ICON.

price is definitely an object lol. I've been eyeballing fox 2.0 bypass kit... If only I could get my hands on a set of Raptor control arms for a decent price.

Thanks though, I'll check out King and old man emu.

I mean unless you have a pre-runner you don't need bypass shocks. A remote reservoir shock would be overkill I would bet.

Main thing is to talk to the reps of said company to get the right spring rate and valving for you. The kits that are made for your truck are already going to have these dialed in.

A 2.0 (s" thick body) emulsion shock with threaded body would be fine. You could run single or dual rate coils. (THIS IS PROBABLY WAY OVERKILL)

I do quite a bit of aggressive off roading lmfao... I'll give them a call and see what they suggest. Most of the stuff I do is just pulling people out... so getting down some rough trails. Not a whole lot of heavy flexy stuff. Truck will see a LOT of trailer time though with 6k-7500lbs behind it.

well....I knew/know a lot of people who do a lot of ridiculous rock crawling and off-roading and don't need bypass shocks.

You run a bypass shock for pre-running because they are very tuneable. But they are not made for carrying weight. So no matter how much off-roading you do you will not need them.

They control suspension travel. So unless you are running a ultra4 truck at baja you won't need them. Or glamis and jumping dunes...

Point being you don't need that shit. No matter how "hardcore" your offroading my be. Check out Pirate4x4, billavista is their tech writer and has whole writeups on these shocks.

I'd say Bilsteins 5100 series maybe a add a leaf in the back to help with towing. as said before shocks aren't for towing. This aswell VVVV

Main thing is to talk to the reps of said company to get the right spring rate and valving for you. The kits that are made for your truck are already going to have these dialed in.

Archived