Second Skin Audio

Alpins type r

sicklife17

I just picked two alpine type r's for $20 the guy said he had them hooked up and they sounded terrible one was buzzing and the other wouldent work. I dident hear them when I got them but they don't make any noises when u press in the surround and nothing smells burnt. I just put a volt meter on them and one cool is 4 ohm but the other is about 6 give or take. Is this normal for a dual 4ohm sub. If not what could this mean?

do you hear any scratching/ abrasion when you push down on the cone? if so then the coil is no good which means the sub is no good unless you can find a recone somewhere. For $20 i would have expected them to be blown.

There might be some usefull information for you here = http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/115718-alpine-type-r-12-recone/

If you have a way to power them you could just do a quick free air test. Now they wont sound great since they are just raw speakers without an enclosure but at least you can see them move and asses any problems that may occur.

Any movement or noise at all will affect your measurement.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived