ben1994 Posted February 18, 2015 Author Report Posted February 18, 2015 Have you tried playing the same tracks on a cd vs your phone/ipod/mp3 player. When I play the same tracks on my gen3 ipod that I play on my gen4 Itouch. Subs get stinky when music is played on the gen3 ipod. Played from the Itouch subs dont stink Also, I know a guy who had lvl5's that always stunk and he knows how to set his systems up (would demo for hours and never had an issue ). Might just be a stnky DC sub. I'll have to try that. I always play my music through a 32gb sandisc cruzer though. I don't know how much that would differentiate from another flash drive. I have heard that dc subs can be "stinky" but this smells much more like coil to me. I wonder if the level 4 parts could play a role? Logic tells me tougher parts would hold up better though. Ordered off droppin hz and added the ar cone and the level 4 parts.
ben1994 Posted February 18, 2015 Author Report Posted February 18, 2015 Also something to add. Voltage has not been dropping too low lately (13.2 at the lowest) although I run a dash volt meter. I don't use any caps or batteries. Could the voltage be tanking at the amp and causing distortion? Would a secondary battery fix that? I plan to add a battery to the back. Was thinking a kinetik hc1200rev.
SIDE SHOW Posted February 18, 2015 Report Posted February 18, 2015 some downloaded music is just crap recorded off a radio station..... and really does sound shithouse (the freq's seem to be mushed in together is the easiest way to distribe it) and yeah i'd deffinatly look at a second battery....
ben1994 Posted February 18, 2015 Author Report Posted February 18, 2015 some downloaded music is just crap recorded off a radio station..... and really does sound shithouse (the freq's seem to be mushed in together is the easiest way to distribe it) and yeah i'd deffinatly look at a second battery.... Ran the songs through the media player scope. Even on the hard bass hits (on slow) it never flattens out. bought an xs d975 as well. hopefully that will help
SIDE SHOW Posted February 18, 2015 Report Posted February 18, 2015 have you tried a cd, try find out whats going on with the sub befor you upgrade anything
Mustang2dakota Posted February 19, 2015 Report Posted February 19, 2015 Any ideas yet? Im kinda curious. Have you checked your headunit itself? Steal a fiends amp, and try it. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread to see what comes out of it. 2014 JKU Sound: pioneer xav-65 4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4 2 pioneer gm-d9601 (much more in route) General: 18in worx rims 33in tire stinger src bumpers light bars 6k hids 2in leveling kit 3.25in lift The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/
Kyblack76 Posted February 19, 2015 Report Posted February 19, 2015 SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
ben1994 Posted February 21, 2015 Author Report Posted February 21, 2015 Sorry been very busy with work/school. Ran a cd and it did the same thing. Knocked down the gain and the burning definitely decreased. So my only idea is that this dc cant handle anything over 900 rms? (or possibly it cant take more "dirty" power) I'm the only one with an audio system in my group of friends. Ill be installing the fosgate amp tomorrow so I'll post to let you know how that goes. I also recently got a xs d975 for the back as well. That will be installed tomorrow as well
ben1994 Posted February 22, 2015 Author Report Posted February 22, 2015 Installed the Rockford with the battery. Smell is gone. Sub hits harder and cleaner. All I can imagine is clean power makes that big of a difference
Wicks Posted February 22, 2015 Report Posted February 22, 2015 On the suspect amp. When you are experiencing the burning smell, play a loud test tone. Set a DMM on VDC and measure the Amps output to the subs. The reading should be close to zero or realistically in the mV range. If you're reading substantial DC voltage the your amp is faulty and applying a DC offset to the subs. Similar to clipping. I would suspect it similar to this. Not sure I remember the details you mentioned, what's the box tuned to? Playing a lot below tuning frequency? This post sent with 100% recycled electrons. 2004 BMW M3Mechman 280A 2 - XS Power XP30001 - XS Power D375 500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F) iPadMini2Dash mounted O-scopeAudison bitOne (Remote DRC MP) Highs Amp - PPI Art A404 Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...) DC Audio DC9.0K 2- DC Audio XL12m2LEGAL - 147.3dB @ 41Hz OUTLAW - 150.2dB @ 45Hz OUTLAW - 145.7dB @ 30Hz JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER 2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER SOTM BUILD:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.