clean or dirty music ??

ok so i just found this out about dirty music when i play it on windows media player i see the scope visualization and i can see where it flat lines on some of the punchy bass tones and long bass tones. how do i know if im getting good music ??? whats the data im supposed to be looking for. sorry in advance for the noob question

yea you could. Also bitrate matters and sampling rate.

I would leave the original file alone and don't boost it, i.e. turn anything up in your video converter. In fact don't use the video converter. Like Gckless said audacity is a nice program that can help with a lot of things but do yourself and favor and see what the file was ripped at.

You can have a FLAC fully lossless file with a ridiculously high sample rate that was crap at the beginning so even though the file is actually a lossless file right now doesn't mean that its a good rip of a cd or the original track.

research bit rate and sampling rate and use audacity to go through your music selection. Also buying your music helps...a lot....check out cds and HDtracks

Archived