Looking at new tower speakers

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I mean it really depends. If I were you I would go full DIY with a proven kit from Parts Express, Madisound, GR Research or Speaker Hardware (the bill fitzmaurice kits for home audio)

You get more satisfaction of ownership with something you build yourself but you need space and tools.

If you don't want to go that route look at Definitive Technologies, Klipsch, Energy, Axiom, Dayton Audio. Def Tech are great and you can get a used set for decent prices that is more bass oriented. Other than Energy or Dayton I would buy used, people get rid of perfectly good floorstanders all the time.

But I think a flat pack kit that you build would be the best. Some of them come with assembled crossovers so you end up with a great speaker without any fab work. Thats my suggestions.

Also look at studio monitors at guitar center or some pro audio outlets. Get a active set with a 6.5 or 8" driver and I think you will be happy.

If you are going to be doing home theater stuff with them however make sure you have a dedicated center channel. Most mixes, dolby/thx are pretty center channel heavy. I know you said floorstanders but just throwing it out there.

I have been looking into Klipsch a little bit the. I like the vegas but i was stupid when i got my receiver and didn't get one that was 4 ohm stable so running them on it caused it to fail over time, thankfully it was with in the warranty period. I have also been tossing around the idea of just getting a new receiver that will support the vegas that I currently have, but i just cant decide which is my best option.

Archived