Mid range questions

Cj Kumz

I'm driving a vw polo hatchback. Running a saz-3500 on 2 hdc3 12s. But trying to prepare for my next build which will either be 3 sundown x12s or 2 zv4 12s. But that will probably be in a month or two.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

So the only way to high pass tweeters and bandpass mids would be do get an external xover?? Sorry for the noob questions lol

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

You need something with that type of crossover capability yes.

It could be the amp, a processor, or the head unit.

I chose to go with an active capable head unit but you might to go a different route.

It's going to take research to decide what will fit your needs best.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You need to bandpass the mid's and high pass the tweets.

But yes if using the headunit to do so you leave the amps on full.

It's also smart to put caps on your tweeters just in case.

No, not if you already have a active filter on them. Adding a cap on your tweeter won't help it out if the signal is already filtered. It will make it sound worse and more quiet.

And active filter is a lot better then a passive one.

1 more question. There some 4 channel amps I have come across that just have a gain and a lpf,full,hpf setting. On such types of amps where exactly is the xover point when set on lpf or hpf?

You set the HPF, LPF based on the components or drivers used. Not just dial in a random number someone on the internet gave you.

In an average setup with no extra fiberglass door panels and such, you want quality over quantity. You'll need high sensitivity drivers AKA "pro audio drivers". These get louder than normal 2 way 3 way stuff you see on the market. Check out crescendo pwx, soundqubed pro 6.5 , seleniums, sundown neo pro, beyma, eminence betas etc.. they have super tweeters to go along with it if you like your highs really strong and bright, if you like the highs to be a little bit more toned down, you can buy any set of soft dome silk tweeters.

You'll need a proper active capable amp with band pass capable crossovers. Crossover points for each system will be different because of the car environment and how you mount your speakers and of course, your own listening preferences, you just need to spend a few hours to play with it and get the sweet spot.

The ones in red aren't even proper pro audio drivers.

Bullet tweeters have no use in a 2way, barely in a well selected three way.

Hey guys. I have a few midrange questions

1. How many speakers and tweeters are needed for and average setup. (I know its too general lol but like for a 145db car)

2. Is it necassary to have midrange in the backdoors?

3. What are the best type of tweeters to get(bullet, dome, etc...)

4. What are the best type of mids(1way, 2way, 3way, etc...)

5. What are the xover settings for the mids( was thinking 100-2000 mids and above 2000 highs)

Thanks

1. 1 of each will be plenty.

2. No, it will only mess up your imaging and leave you with less money to spend on the front stage.

3. Personal preference, but bullet have no proper use in car audio. Soft dome tweeters sound less harsh, hard dome tweeters in general are more pronounced and more harshly sounding to the ear.

4. There is no such thing as a 2-3-4 way midrange. Three way is called that way because there are three components that make up the sound stage. (tweeter, midrange,midbass)

For starters proper installation of a passive (or active) 2 way is more then difficult enough task.

5. That all depends on the drivers used and the way they will be used.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

The cap is protection for any garbage that may get through and plenty of people run them on active setups.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You need something with that type of crossover capability yes.

It could be the amp, a processor, or the head unit.

I chose to go with an active capable head unit but you might to go a different route.

It's going to take research to decide what will fit your needs best.

Thanks for the input. I seem to be comfortable with my headunit so ama stick to it. Lemme try work on getting an amp with the required xover features I think that will be better to avoid more wiring lol

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

But yes if using the headunit to do so you leave the amps on full.It's also smart to put caps on your tweeters just in case.

No, not if you already have a active filter on them. Adding a cap on your tweeter won't help it out if the signal is already filtered. It will make it sound worse and more quiet.

1 more question. There some 4 channel amps I have come across that just have a gain and a lpf,full,hpf setting. On such types of amps where exactly is the xover point when set on lpf or hpf?

You set the HPF, LPF based on the components or drivers used. Not just dial in a random number someone on the internet gave you.

In an average setup with no extra fiberglass door panels and such, you want quality over quantity. You'll need high sensitivity drivers AKA "pro audio drivers". These get louder than normal 2 way 3 way stuff you see on the market. Check out crescendo pwx, soundqubed pro 6.5 , seleniums, sundown neo pro, beyma, eminence betas etc.. they have super tweeters to go along with it if you like your highs really strong and bright, if you like the highs to be a little bit more toned down, you can buy any set of soft dome silk tweeters.

You'll need a proper active capable amp with band pass capable crossovers. Crossover points for each system will be different because of the car environment and how you mount your speakers and of course, your own listening preferences, you just need to spend a few hours to play with it and get the sweet spot.

1. How many speakers and tweeters are needed for and average setup. (I know its too general lol but like for a 145db car)

5. What are the xover settings for the mids( was thinking 100-2000 mids and above 2000 highs)

Thanks

2. No, it will only mess up your imaging and leave you with less money to spend on the front stage.

3. Personal preference, but bullet have no proper use in car audio. Soft dome tweeters sound less harsh, hard dome tweeters in general are more pronounced and more harshly sounding to the ear.

4. There is no such thing as a 2-3-4 way midrange. Three way is called that way because there are three components that make up the sound stage. (tweeter, midrange,midbass)

For starters proper installation of a passive (or active) 2 way is more then difficult enough task.

Thanks for that input. Do you recommend having both mid-bass and mids, or would mids be enough.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

But yes if using the headunit to do so you leave the amps on full.It's also smart to put caps on your tweeters just in case.

Thanks

Thanks for that input. Do you recommend having both mid-bass and mids, or would mids be enough.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

But yes if using the headunit to do so you leave the amps on full.

It's also smart to put caps on your tweeters just in case.

Thanks

Thanks for that input. Do you recommend having both mid-bass and mids or should mids on there own be able to handle the range.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

Pics of the area of the vehicle would help with placement.

Or atleast a link to them ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived