Second Skin Audio

2 lvl 3 15's think my box isnt cutting it

Lowering the port area won't help you at all.

Enlarging the enclosure, tuning higher and adding more power will help you out.

Also, how did you brace the enclosure? This is also very important. Improving air flow will help too (but not by much)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

+1 to what kirill007 said.

If possible, I would recommend only changing one thing between tests. If you change too many things you won't know what change had what effect and may end up cancelling out any improvements you would have had.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sorry I was very tired when I posted lol i plan on doing the box mods in steps not all at once. So shortening the port will increase box volume but you dont think going from 18 sqin port per foot to 15 will make a difference? This would also bring my tuning up from 30hz to 35-36hz though in spl boxes I've heard and read on here that you want to tune at resonate frequency for your vehicle i figure 35 is alot closer than 30 to my peak of 41

Correct me if I am wrong wouldn't having a smaller sqin per foot of port increase port velocity as less surface area would be in contact with the port and because of this increase in velocity move more air more violently and in turn make the system louder? just my extremely over simplified understand of ports, port area and velocity.

Correct me if I am wrong wouldn't having a smaller sqin per foot of port increase port velocity as less surface area would be in contact with the port and because of this increase in velocity move more air more violently and in turn make the system louder? just my extremely over simplified understand of ports, port area and velocity.

Port area per cube was created to make people lose their minds Im thinking.

Port area per cube was created to make people lose their minds Im thinking.

I agree, it seems everywhere I look has a different answer and reason behind it

I'm not sure where the idea that higher port velocity translates to higher SPL came from, but I wish it would go away along with the "port area per cube" rule. Higher port velocity MIGHT seem to generate more SPL if you put the meter IN THE PORT, since I don't think you are going to be doing that, higher port velocity is only going to hurt you.

Around tuning all of your sound energy is coming out of the port, this is also when port velocity is the highest. Air resistance increases as a square of air velocity, so a doubling of air velocity will result in a quadrupling of air resistance. Any energy that is lost to air resistance is energy that would have been turned into more SPL, so minimizing the amount of air resistance should always be a goal. This can be done through more port area to lower port speeds, and through good port design & implementation to maximize smooth airflow. Ideally a combination of both tactics will be used.

As far as tuning frequency goes, the closer to the resonant frequency you tune to, the higher peak in output you should get, at least in theory. This is where some experimentation is probably going to be your best bet. Keep in mind that as you raise the tuning frequency you are going to sacrifice low end output and also raise the frequency at which your port will unload and cone excursion goes through the roof. So you have to be extra careful with your subsonic filter and what you play so as not to damage your subs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You must have read my stickied thread and not understood it.

By your thinking, we would all be running tiny little ports.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

back from the dead.....Alright so I bit the bullet so to speak on purchased a ct sounds 4000.1 amp...im not going to lie this is the first amp I have purchased that did not have some form of fusing built into it. In the book it says it requires a 400 amp fuse/breaker. Alot of the BIG sound systems I see are not fused between the amp and the rear battery bank...so am I going to be ok no running fuses? I know I risk burning up the amp this was if the electrical wires ground out or it short and ultimatly risk a fire but isnt it essentially the same as running a fused amp without the power wire being fused?

Archived