Second Skin Audio

Sundown Sa 15's

Overpowering mainly will benefit a competitor if every other thing has been optimized and there's no other way to gain output. To most daily setups it's just more risk than what it's worth IMO.

It does not always have a benefit and can actually cause the system to perform worse.

example being matt14's Tahoe with his 4th order. did a 147.9 or so on a nendo 3k. DC 5k and it did like a 147.3 iirc.

Too much power leads to excess heat. heat kills efficiency.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Here is a link the the thread on the ssa forums http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/63492-in-search-of-new-sub-please-help/page-10.. all box/port measurements are on there, along with photos. I'm not sure what to think about the box now.. They initially were saying that the tuning was wayy off, and there there was wayy too much port velocity/port noise. They have gone back and forth, and now the last few posts have said the box isnt as bad as they thought.. I would try to post the key points of the conversations from there to here, but it would probably be easiest if you all just wanted to go there and read though it..

Thanks
~Tyler

Overpowering mainly will benefit a competitor if every other thing has been optimized and there's no other way to gain output. To most daily setups it's just more risk than what it's worth IMO.

It does not always have a benefit and can actually cause the system to perform worse.

One would hope that a half seroius competitor have taken steps to avoid or reduce issues like picking the right subs for the job.

example being matt14's Tahoe with his 4th order. did a 147.9 or so on a nendo 3k. DC 5k and it did like a 147.3 iirc.

Too much power leads to excess heat. heat kills efficiency.

But to the ear it sounds louder

Here is a link the the thread on the ssa forums http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/63492-in-search-of-new-sub-please-help/page-10.. all box/port measurements are on there, along with photos. I'm not sure what to think about the box now.. They initially were saying that the tuning was wayy off, and there there was wayy too much port velocity/port noise. They have gone back and forth, and now the last few posts have said the box isnt as bad as they thought.. I would try to post the key points of the conversations from there to here, but it would probably be easiest if you all just wanted to go there and read though it..

Thanks

~Tyler

You state the port is 7 1/4" x 7 1/4", that is is 49.5 square inches of port area for two 15" drivers, it doesn't take more than a visit to Sundown's site and check their suggestions, you will find that they give about 100 square inches of port area for the dual sub version, so why would they do that if only half was needed?

Archived