Copper07 Posted May 17, 2015 Report Posted May 17, 2015 So recently ive come across some really cheap 4x10's, model number AW-641sp for $5 apiece, seen em forever, and finally decided that i should take a chance on one, and it surprised me with the overall volume, but primarily the xmax and bass output. So ive decided im going to buy 10 of them and put them all into one massive enclosure. I've done the math and, correct me if im wrong, but they should have similar output as 5 12's. Now, my actual question, what should i use for the enclosure? I can't decide between a sealed or ported enclosure. Sealed would be much easier to build, and would help to keep them a lil cleaner, but im worried that with 10 of these bad boys all flexing in at once, theyll create too much pressure and really cut back on excursion. I am willing to do a ported enclosure, but then i'm worried that these lil guys wont do well in one and will sound muddy. And on top of that I have no idea where to start design wise, although i would like to stay away from ports and try for a vent instead. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated! I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
Skullz Posted May 17, 2015 Report Posted May 17, 2015 Tried the pioneer 4x10's years ago and thought they sounded like ass compared to the 6x9's and other sizes available. They are meant for infinite baffle so make the enclosure as large as possible for them and post a video of them in action. 01 Ford focus ZX3 Pioneer AVH-X491BHS PPI PC 4800.2 Morel Maximo 6.5" x2
Copper07 Posted May 19, 2015 Author Report Posted May 19, 2015 Thanks, nd hey i have those Pioneers too! I thought they were pretty good tho.... anyways, thanks for the infinite baffle quote i had forgotten about that. So a ported box would probably be the best way to go eh? I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
MrSkippyJ Posted May 19, 2015 Report Posted May 19, 2015 Well if you are going infinite baffle then it's not ported... F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Copper07 Posted May 19, 2015 Author Report Posted May 19, 2015 I know its not, but i want an enclosure, of sorts, and a ported box would be one of the closest to infinite baffle, short of a transmission line. I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted May 19, 2015 Report Posted May 19, 2015 Did you just look up enclosure style names or something because none of those are close to one another. If for some reason I felt so inclined to try something this odd myself I would run them sealed. How big of an enclosure? Well that will be something you have to play around with. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Copper07 Posted May 19, 2015 Author Report Posted May 19, 2015 No i actually have quite considerable knowledge of enclosures and such. It was my understanding that an infinite baffle is just a speaker that is mounted, open on either sides, similar to what cars have for 6x9s in the back. Only enclosures that would mimic that would b Tlines or ported, for lack of pressure. Now as for your suggestion, i would like to do a sealed box, but wouldn't there be too much pressure for them to flex? That's a lot of air being compressed. And i haven't figured out volume yet, but its going to be rather large, especially if ported I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
Copper07 Posted May 19, 2015 Author Report Posted May 19, 2015 So im thinking 3.4 cubes for a ported, or 2.9 for a sealed I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
MrSkippyJ Posted May 19, 2015 Report Posted May 19, 2015 an infinite baffle is mostly a sealed enclosure, albeit a really large one, since it separates the rear and front wave of the speaker. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Copper07 Posted May 19, 2015 Author Report Posted May 19, 2015 I see...wouldn't this still cause a problem with pressure though? I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one. Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said: Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.