Sundown Audio

Cadence

Jesse Knoblock

Being where I am in Canada we dont get alot of good audio brands. The ones we do get we pay alot more for them.

Cadence has been a brand I have wanted to try for along time.

Kicker is my favorite but a new KX1600.1 is $999.99

The Cadence D1600M is basically the same except Kicker rated at 14.4v an Cadence rated at 13.8v

In comparison to my Kicker EX1000.1 at about 900watts at 1ohm and the Cadence D1600M (not measured with DMM) 900watts rated at 4ohms.

First off, the Cadence amp is lighter but basically the same size.

I set the gains with the Smart Tech distortion detector and it sounds and feels the same as the Kicker EX1000.1 at about 900watts rms set by DMM.

In conclusion I am happy with the purchase, got the Cadence at a good price and cheaper than a Kicker KX1600.1

Wasnt sure what to expect with the Cadence amp but it seems to do exactly as they claim which makes me very happy.

The wide web has little information that I could find on them and I dont like to trust online reviews much. That being said I felt I should add this online review of my Cadence ZRS D1600M amplifier.

10 of 10 in my books.

Pics would be nice.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I really doubt that thing does 1600...and if its light I realllly doubt that thing does 1600.

That being said I was actually impressed with my cadence 4 channel. My gains are set to 0 to keep down distortion and I am guessing it does half its rated RMS. But I also bought it when I didn't really know enough about amplifiers.

Also you can't really compare a 1000$ amp to a $200 amp. I would compare this to the rockford prime 1200 which I own...I am guessing the cadence amp does not have the power supply the rockford has so I would bet the output is less than the rockford.

• 3 weeks later...

I opened it up actually last night. (The Cadence) will post pics.

I do not claim the Cadence is surpassing my Kicker EX1000.1, more like I cannot tell a difference in them. Id have to have both amplifiers going on similar setups at the same time to be able to really tell a difference and I only have 1 setup to run at one time.

Another thing is my Kicker EX1000.1 is rated 1000watts rms at 1ohm @14.4v which is how it was wired, and currently the Cadence is wired for 4ohms and its rated 900watts rms at 4ohm @13.8v and i cannot tell a difference between them like that. Both sound and feel great, I think the Cadence sounds alot more controlled and detailed wich i think is because its 4ohms instead of the 1ohm the kicker was running at.

Something that did interest me is yes, right off the bat the Cadence is a smaller lighter amp than the Kicker EX1000.1 however its larger and heavier than the Kicker KX1600.1 so take that information as you wish.

im talking slightly smaller and lighter its not a large difference and could be simply the outside case on the amp and nothing else that makes the differences.

Never have opened my EX1000.1 for comparison. Actually might have to now im getting the itch.

Id love for people to post what they think of the cadence once i post pics of it.

Side note, the Cadence ZRS D1600M was a $880 amplifier on Cadence website up until they were discontinued. Ive been watching them for a couple years and caught the last few that were on sale and scooped one at $300 shipped.

The Kicker EX1000.1 is a $550 amplifier but got it for $300 on sale.

Would be interested in seeing the inside of a Kicker KX1600.1 versus the Kicker EX1000.1 and Cadence D1600M.

Since the KX1600 is super small, smaller and lighter than both my amplifiers and retails for $999.99

Size use to tell the whole story, I dont think it matters as much anymore in the day and age of small and light we make continual advancements to improve technology. I dont believe a smaller lighter amp HAS to be worse than a larger heavier beefier amp, not anymore.

Example could be exadurated by looking at an amplifier that is 30years old and one from this year. Both could be proven to put out the same power, guaranteed the one from this year is the smaller weaker looking one though. So really i dont take amp gut shots to seriously, id rather a clamp test or amp dyno be done.

Ok so, some seem confused on what I meant and what I own etc. So before I show the Cadence insides.

The Cadence D1600M you can view on www.cadencesound.com and I own one of these now. Was purchasable directly from Cadence for around $880 and no longer is they're being phased out as they're getting older now. Got it for about $300.

The Kicker EX1000.1 is a interesting amplifier, Kicker does not deny making this amplifier but says its a International model or something along those lines. Anyways I purchased it here in Canada at a large electronics store named Visions Electronics. There's little information on it but the manual is very detailed. The thing with this purchase was it was retailing for $549.99+tax and I got it after tax for $330 as Visions sold the last of their stock off as it too was discontinued.

The nice thing about this amp was the 1ohm 1000watts rms worked great with my 2ohm dvc subwoofer and at the time the Cadence was still very expensive and not on sale at discount and so I got the Kicker EX1000.1

The Cadence amp was more a purchase of curiosity. I've been looking at their site and products for years and decided to go for it. I have a O-scope to set all my amps but I couldn't wait to try the clip limit and stuff so I went with that first without any oscope. The clip limit works better than I ever thought it would actually, I didn't have any high hopes for it. Its by no means a way to set a final setting though but still interesting and fairly effective feature. supposedly 16v capable power supply, not that I see myself ever using that or trying it ever.
Honestly right now my alternator cant keep up with the demands of the Cadence at full tilt and I can only do it for short periods until the voltage gets to low and I ease off. And that's with the Cadence wired at 4ohms and rated for 900rms at 4ohms & 13.8v

Now. The Kicker EX1000.1 is 1000 rms @ 14.4 & 1ohm, The Cadence D1600M is 900 rms @ 13.8v & 4ohm. Realistically the cadence at 4ohms is similar to the Kicker at 1ohms then taking the rated voltage into effect. AND seems to be the case, as I can tell NO difference at all! The Kicker EX1000.1 and Cadence D1600M sound and feel the same, I've sat both down an listened to them and if anything the Cadence sounds better. The only thing I could do differently in my comparison is have two cars with two identical systems and test them at the exact same time, I have to disconnect an reconnect to the other amp to listen to them back to back on 1 system in the same car. Takes some time but not a whole lot.

Debating on opening the Kicker EX1000.1, trying to sell it actually as I don't need it the Cadence has proven itself to me I believe ill get more than the Kicker EX1000.1 would deliver when I add a 2nd subwoofer. The Kicker EX1000.1 is rated 700 rms @14.4v & 2ohms and when I add the 2nd subwoofer ill have a 2ohm load and the Cadence is rated 1600 rms @ 13.8v & 2ohms and should be monstrous power :D Going by my experience of the Cadence @ 4ohms anyways. Though, new alternator needs to happen before I even think of that. Cant keep voltage at 900watts rms don't need to push it harder, I stop at 13v but yeah it sucks down fast and the first time I wasn't watching it was 12.2v and im sure it would just keep going down n down. Older vehicle, stock and old alternator and kinda crappy quality power an ground wire to the amp too actually, Got the amp wire for free never bothered to replace it but I should its the copper/tin or w.e. that crap copper silver mix is.

Amp guts of Cadence D1600M coming in the next few hrs

Archived