Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

MCM Audio Super Budget


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello there, my buddy is looking for me to build him a subwoofer enclosure on a super budget. He has an amp that can supply 100w bridged 4ohm that I need to work with. Quick google search has found an 8" Kicker (yuck) or this MCM Audio woofer, that I *think* has pretty good stats and for $30 I would do it for funzies.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2421-/55-2421

Specifications
Power capacity: 120W/240W RMS/peak
Frequency response: 25Hz ~ 1KHz
Nominal impedance: 4Ω
Voice coil diameter: 2"
Magnet weight: 47oz.
Sensitivity: 87dB W/M
Fs: 25.7Hz
Re: 3.4Ω
Le: 2.47mH
Qms: 14.0
Qes: 0.22
Qts: 0.22
Vas: 30.43 liters
Mms: 59.78g
Xmax: 8mm (one-way)
Magnet gap height: 8mm
BL: 12.99
Piston diameter: 163mm

The Qms seems to be high though, is that an issue for a ported enclosure? I've only been in car audio for a year and I'm just recently diving deeper into the parameters and what they actually do for me. Feel free to tear this woofer apart for me and or suggest a better alternative. In the meantime I'll be looking around for other variations that fit the criteria. maybe two 2ohm woofers at 50rms, is that even a thing?

Posted

That resonate frequency is 60hz though, was hoping to find a sub-woofer. RMS is 800 as well, I don't really have the available power to reach that but is that an issue? If it isnt then that opens up to so many more to look through. I did come across these though.

http://www.parts-express.com/re-audio-rex8-v2-8-subwoofer-driver-4-ohm--268-8050

http://www.parts-express.com/re-audio-rex10-v2-10-subwoofer-driver-4-ohm--268-8051

Although getting pricey for him, I see a lot of RE around.

I think you have the right idea though, I should be sorting by price more then power handling

Posted

Out of curiosity, why did you say yuck to kicker? While you can get the same or a little better for less money, kicker does exactly what is advertised. It's reliable, as long as you don't give their speakers/woofers more than they're rated for.

Posted

I used several of those MCM 55-2421 subs. I've only used them in bass horns, but they should work OK for ported boxes. .6 cubes each tuned to 33 Hz should work reasonably well. I know those subs are pretty popular with folks looking to experiment for cheap.

If you wanted to step up a notch in quality I'd go up to an Infinity 860W. I've used several of them as well and I think they are the best you can get in that price range. If you shop around you can probably get them for under $50.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted
Posted

Under powering a sub will not hurt it, as long as you don't crank the gain and clip the amp.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

 

‎

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3046 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...