Second Skin Audio

MCM Audio Super Budget

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I used several of those MCM 55-2421 subs. I've only used them in bass horns, but they should work OK for ported boxes. .6 cubes each tuned to 33 Hz should work reasonably well. I know those subs are pretty popular with folks looking to experiment for cheap.

If you wanted to step up a notch in quality I'd go up to an Infinity 860W. I've used several of them as well and I think they are the best you can get in that price range. If you shop around you can probably get them for under $50.

I actually have a box to that spec laying around that I made a while ago, .6cu @ 34.5hz but it's already made to fit a Sundown SA-8. Is there a reason you only placed them into horns, are they quiet? I was hoping to get someone to tear the specs apart with me, maybe I'm not seeing what's wrong with them. I see that the xmax is only 8mm and the Qms is 14. But the pros to me seem to be low Fs, low Qts, frequency response goes below 30hz, everything else seems pretty standard. Am I doing it wrong?

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I actually have a box to that spec laying around that I made a while ago, .6cu @ 34.5hz but it's already made to fit a Sundown SA-8. Is there a reason you only placed them into horns, are they quiet? I was hoping to get someone to tear the specs apart with me, maybe I'm not seeing what's wrong with them. I see that the xmax is only 8mm and the Qms is 14. But the pros to me seem to be low Fs, low Qts, frequency response goes below 30hz, everything else seems pretty standard. Am I doing it wrong?

There is nothing wrong with them. I just used them in horns because that's what I wanted to do. They work very well in that application. I have two loaded in a large tapped horn that knocks the shit out of my woodshop on a 250 watt plate amp.

8mm xmax is pretty darn good for a $30 sub. I think they are worth a try, especially since you already have a box that should work.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I spotted those as well.

There is nothing wrong with them. I just used them in horns because that's what I wanted to do. They work very well in that application. I have two loaded in a large tapped horn that knocks the shit out of my woodshop on a 250 watt plate amp.

8mm xmax is pretty darn good for a $30 sub. I think they are worth a try, especially since you already have a box that should work.

Yeah after all this, it makes me think I should just sell him my SA-8 and save us time. Since everyone seems to think 100w will run anything

Archived