Second Skin Audio

bass chamber? speaker placement problems.

If you have trunk rattling and you don't want to deal with a solution, face forward and seal off, a proper seal off completely isolate the cabin from the trunk.

I have been playing around with my subwoofer setup.. I built my box to fire the sub directly into my cabin through my decklid. My seats dont fold down so i cutout my stock oem subwoofer hole in my decklid to a 12 and sealed it with a rubber ring that i had. I noticed the sound is not that loud and the only benefit i would have is no trunk rattles. When driving with any windows down the bass gets almost inaudible. My guess is when i am driving with the windows down all the air that enters the car gets trapped in the back rear window where the subwoofer is also trying to move air..

My sub box and encloser are now near and facing the trunk, its much louder but yhe trunk rattle is horrible. The car is a lexus gs, what are my options. Im just going redo my whole trunk

You can't take a sealed box, and just throw a port in it. did you even measure the tuning frequency? The amount of Port area that you had? Because if not, what you built is unjustified when you say you didn't like how it sounded. I have seen plenty of build where they port through the rear deck, because the same reason you do. Seat don't move. And they where very nice set ups. What gear are you running exactly. Sub, amp? That would help up out too. I honestly would love to port through a rear deck, it makes thing's a lot cleaner imo, in a simpler fashion. I bet, if you built a ported box designed for that woofer to port through the rear deck, it would sound much better than what you previously did. When it comes to ported, you need to mess with the port to get the sound where you want it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You can't just cut a hole into a sealed box to port it. And you also can't just cut a hole into the rear deck plate like that either. Not for the effect you want. Sealed enclosures and ported enclosures require different amounts of volume inside of them. You either build sealed OR ported as designed in accordance with the T/S parameters of your woofers. You would have been better off without that hole I think.

As for your options, you can build a ported box with an aero port that extends into the pointless hole you cut. You can replace/repair that hole and just have a ported box firing into the rear of the trunk (still rattles) and add enough sound deadener to your trunk to end the rattles. Or leave your sealed box firing into the trunk as it is, and sound deaden it to end the rattles. Although since you say you cut a "port" into that box and then re-sealed it, I'd build a new box no matter what you do. It's integrity has been tarnished.

The box is temporary,Im building a new box,im getting another 12, and the reason i ported it was cause my sealed box was too big for my speaker. And i was in range of RF ported box specs, after i ported it i remembered why i always liked sealed.. It sounds alot better. And that pointless hole isnt really pointless unless some facts are poured out, some say its good to get some bass into the cabin.. But the subject is not my box, im trying to figure out what is the best place to place the box for sound and the reasons why it would be the best spot

Yes, getting your bass into the cabin is a good thing. Cutting a 12inch hole is not the way in my opinion. No one can tell you what the best place is for sound with your setup because no one else has the exact same setup as you. You have to move it and play with it yourself to find what sounds best to you.

But doesnt bass in the trunk act as a bass chamber? And doesnt it make it louder? When sealed to my decklid with my windows down the bass become very inaudible

A proper seal off is done covering every single opening (even smaller holes) between the trunk and the cabin, I don't think you have done that.

If you want to cut out the entire deck lid, that might achieve the goal you're looking for. Subs firing up to that hole. But the 12 inch hole won't. Not unless you design a ported box with a 12 inch port externally routed to that cutout

Archived