Could it be my alternator?

It was a Song. I'll try with a tone.

should not matter.. if you pull a load, the alt should see something.

at idle no load you should see around 20-30 amp, depending on voltage...

when voltage goes down, amperage should rise.......

no change. played a 35 hz tone full tilt and the meter read 27a... i dont think my car would hold over 13v if it was only putting out 30a. what am i doing wrong?

if your over battery, then the alt is doing more that 30amp... and doing something...

show me a pic of the SETTING your using..

Here's a pic of the meter I'm using and the setting its set at

A555CED8-8E34-4A80-AD99-733D3AE301BD.jpg

27BCE99D-E144-4037-8F30-0F72C9BE3CFB.jpg

Clamped on the alt wire with engine idling no load. Voltage at 12.9 (idles at like 600rpm, think it's lower than alt turn on)

F5C9F6CF-4269-4C19-BB7E-1140E3A583D9.jpg

Clamped with rpm at 1700 and all the load I could put on it (ac, blinkers, defrost, radio... Couldn't play the sub because I'm at work at the moment)

47538FB1-FBCE-4D9F-A860-853E58AD697D.jpg

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Hmmmm......

Do you have access to another meter just so you can rule out if the meter is the issue?

If your voltage is above battery rest that means the alt is working.

I might have missed it but what vehicle is this in?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I don't have access to another one. Didn't know anyone with one that's why I bought this one. Took straight from packaging to clamp the alt. brand new. After work will hook up like quintine said to make sure

And it's a 2006 ford fivehundred.

Don't think my issue is the pcm? Because some times when going from a stop and give it gas my voltage spikes up to 15v for a split second and then goes back down to 14.4, and sometimes it will very slowly creep up to 14.4 by like .1v at a time.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

yes. when i come to a stop sign or stop light, my voltage drops to 12.9. my car idles lower than the turn on rpm of the alt. have talked to mechman and i already have the smallest pulley. the only thing i could do is send it in to get it wound so the turn on will be earlier, but they said id loose output at higher rpm

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

yes. when i come to a stop sign or stop light, my voltage drops to 12.9. my car idles lower than the turn on rpm of the alt. have talked to mechman and i already have the smallest pulley. the only thing i could do is send it in to get it wound so the turn on will be earlier, but they said id loose output at higher rpm

Yup... not a fan.

Most will say to get the LARGEST alt you can fit... what they dont know is, it will not even make amperage till some silly turn on.....

Fuck that... my hairpin 270 only does like 266 on music, .. but id does 230 at 500rpm, team that with the big 370, .. i love it.

Go do your same tests, and rev that fucker to 2300 rpm.... and report back.

EDIT- imho, you give up a lil bit of max output, for more of a "friendly, daily" turn on... its not like your running 20k and need it anyway.

Just me.....

Archived