Question About DD-1 and gains

Have you tried just adjusting everything by ear? Then use a dmm to watch your voltage? Works great you should give it a shot. Feel your amp and subs make sure they aren't getting crazy hot.

why when he has the proper tool to set gains....

and o.p try a new battery and try setting it at the 29 volume where it first and not the average

make sure your subsonic filter is off or all the way down and all the eqs off

and the deck did you do the dd-1 through the rca's or the amps?

this is what i would do, go back to your head unit, find max undistorted with track 2 (1khz). Go back to track 1, using the volume you just found, and check your sub out. If it is distorted, back the sub level down till the distortion light goes out. Now go back to your sub amp at the new volume and set the gain with 3 or 5. or right in between the two.

I think your sub out is distorting because it showed distortion at 29 and you turned your head unit up to 32 to set the sub amp.

Thank you for this suggestion. SO the SUB LEVEL on the head unit (+15 at the moment) decrease it till i see the distortion light disappear on the DD-1 at the undistorted level i found with track 2. Then slowly up the gains on the sub amp till red light shows again. Correct?

I will give this a shot this evening thank you for your help. Like I said the DD-1 & CC-1 are awesome and I'm just trying to tweak my system to be stable and undistorted.

Just a quick question: any suggestion on settings for Crossover Frequencys, like I currently have all 6.5s at 80hz and the subs at 80hz. Sounds great but door speakers I think are bassing (is that even a thing lol) to much... maybe raise both sub and door speakers to 100hz?

Thanks again.

He is probably getting distortion in his sub amp because the sub out distorts at 30 and he is setting gains at 32. He should back his sub out down like I said. Or am I crazy?

Edit you can try 100 or 120 for mids. It just depends on what they are happy with. Once your gains are set right you will have a better idea what you can do

Edited by strangeduck
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Have you tried just adjusting everything by ear? Then use a dmm to watch your voltage? Works great you should give it a shot. Feel your amp and subs make sure they aren't getting crazy hot.

Thank you for this suggestion but I do not have the DMM...... but i just ordered one!. Realized I should have one in my tool box. I can adjust by ear but I really want to keep everything distortion free, hence why I'm using the DD-1.

He is probably getting distortion in his sub amp because the sub out distorts at 30 and he is setting gains at 32. He should back his sub out down like I said. Or am I crazy?

don't know i didnt see anywhere where he said his sub out distorted and i would dd1 at the rcas for the deck first then dd1 the amps

the 3 decks ive dd1 the headunit distorted at the same place for all the tracks on each set of rcas

Edited by CstrokerV
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

why when he has the proper tool to set gains....

and o.p try a new battery and try setting it at the 29 volume where it first and not the average

make sure your subsonic filter is off or all the way down and all the eqs off

and the deck did you do the dd-1 through the rca's or the amps?

I made sure all the eq's were off, the sub amp I have does not have subsonic filter settings I believe. The HU was set correctly but I measured the deck with the DD-1 through both amps.... Track 1 40hz on the Sub Amp then Track 2 1K on the High Amp. I will also swap in a new 9v see if that gives me anything... I believe I'm almost at the correct settings but maybe I'm doing things backwards or slightly off... not sure yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by nalacos

Ohio... I know achieving perfection is not possible due to all the variables, I'm just trying to set my system up the best I can. I am by no means dealing with high end, high dollar components etc so I don't see how using a tool designed to prevent distortion could damage my small system, and yes you can set the gains a number of different ways DMM, ear, oscilloscope etc.. without using a DD-1. I just like the product and its ease of use hence why I came to SMD Forum to speak with people that have used this product and know a bit more than I do.

yeah i doubt you seen alot of people mess their shit up using one and if something happened to their equipment after they used one then it was user error something they did its like saying you can mess your shit up using an oscope you can't it receives signal it doesn't produce any just like an oscope ... the DD-1 is used to match the preout voltage of the deck to the amp output nothing more... if you use shitty music you are still going to get shitty results and thats user error .. you still have to have half a brain to know the limits of your system and what the quality of music you are using is...

Ohio... I know achieving perfection is not possible due to all the variables, I'm just trying to set my system up the best I can. I am by no means dealing with high end, high dollar components etc so I don't see how using a tool designed to prevent distortion could damage my small system, and yes you can set the gains a number of different ways DMM, ear, oscilloscope etc.. without using a DD-1. I just like the product and its ease of use hence why I came to SMD Forum to speak with people that have used this product and know a bit more than I do.

Kinda what i was sayin. You have a simple setup and the dd1 doesn't seem like its being that simple for you.

Okay... well as for myself, before finding out about DD-1 and his other products I was most likely running distortion for days and have just recently gotten back into the audio world. So yes I do have a simple system and yes I might am starting from the beginning but it doesn't hurt to ask for help.. . . That's how you learn.

The product IS simple and thats what I like about it, so thanks for the jab... I hope you enjoy your 10k watt system with golden sub woofers encrusted with diamonds.