Sonic Electronix

Help with Low pass filter!!

I have a pioneer AVH-X4600BT head unit and a hifonics x1500.1 brutus amp

im having problems setting the low pass filter.

heres why: on the head unit , in the sub section, there is a low pass filter setting , your choices are 50, 63, 80, 100 and 125. there is no OFF option. So you are forced to choose one. I have mine at 80hz

now on the amp, the low pass filter dial goes from 35hz to 250hz.. there is no way to turn this OFF, so you are forced to choose a frequency setting, I have mine at around 12 o'clock , no idea what frequency that is.

Now, ive researched and found many sites and articles stating that you should use the low pass on either the HU or the amp but not BOTH at the same time. as it can introduce distortion, etc..

from crutchfield:

Note: Do not use the low-pass filters, crossovers, or bass boosts on the receiver and the amplifier at the same time — use one or the other, but not both. The reason is that something called phase distortion generates around each filter or boost's crossover frequency, muddying up the sound.

So how the hell do i do that if both devices force you to use it without an option to turn it either of them off?

do i turn the amps LPF all the way to the right to 250hz and then leave the HU at 80hz? do i match 80hz on amp and 80hz on HU?

whats the proper way to set this in order to get the BEST and tightest bass possible?

Thank you!

Just keep the amp set over your head unit. Any noise it generates will already be in the filtered out section from the radio.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Just keep the amp set over your head unit. Any noise it generates will already be in the filtered out section from the radio.

ok cool i will try that.. but wouldnt that still be using both filters at the same time? this is where i get confused the db slope octave thing plays a role in this doesnt it?

Yes it would be both on.

You can turn off the head unit or have the head unit pass lower than the amplifier.

Pretty sure the amplifier can't be turned off.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Just turn the amps lpf to 250, set the HU where you want it, and if you can adjust the dB/octave, mute the mid and high signals and only use the sub signal, and adjust the octave to the level that sounds good to you. But if you have good midbass speakers that have good output from 80hz to 200-ish hz, then set the subs dB per octave steep (24-36dB/octave) so there's not much of the midbass frequencies being produced by the subs.

Just turn the amps lpf to 250, set the HU where you want it, and if you can adjust the dB/octave, mute the mid and high signals and only use the sub signal, and adjust the octave to the level that sounds good to you. But if you have good midbass speakers that have good output from 80hz to 200-ish hz, then set the subs dB per octave steep (24-36dB/octave) so there's not much of the midbass frequencies being produced by the subs.

my head unit does not have a db/octave adjustment on it. I have decent midbass speakers but because of the design of my car the midbass doesnt get produced that well, im going to be deadening and baffling them to try and make them sound better. So, all i can really do for now is just turn the LPF on amp all the way to 250hz from the position its at now which is around 1pm.

i have just recently read that the HPF should be set higher than the LPF (exm. 80hz on lpf and 100 on hpf) apparently this sounds better than having it set to 80hz on low pass and 80hz on high pass...

2 more questions: i have a sealed box and my subsonic is set to around 23-25.. is this right or should it be not used at all (turned all the way counter clockwise?)

also, how do u set this site up so that i get emailed every time i get a response to one of my threads? thanks

Since you can't change the dB/octave of the filter, don't worry about it. Just use the HU filters for ease of use, and accuracy (unless you have a CC-1 for your amp filters). I don't know about the hpf being higher than lpf instead of at the same, I've never heard that before. It won't hurt anything to do it though. Someone else will have to answer that and your sealed box-subsonic question. As for your notification, click on your profile, click settings, notifications, and adjust it from there.

Since you can't change the dB/octave of the filter, don't worry about it. Just use the HU filters for ease of use, and accuracy (unless you have a CC-1 for your amp filters). I don't know about the hpf being higher than lpf instead of at the same, I've never heard that before. It won't hurt anything to do it though. Someone else will have to answer that and your sealed box-subsonic question. As for your notification, click on your profile, click settings, notifications, and adjust it from there.

Krakin and Reedal thanks for your help guys

Archived