Second Skin Audio

Loudest SPL/SQL sealed set up

akuma4u

a very nice thread guys...lots of love from tri and joe. my head is spinning! it took me three days to thoroughly read through this. i learn more every day! :good:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

ok so ive given a deposit for the zv3 12 to my sundown dealer, will take 5 weeks or so to receive. I encountered possibly a problem, i checked out the height of the zv3 and its close to 10 inches or so, and the depth , according to the sundown site, which im assuming is the mounting depth, is 8.75 inches. The max height for my box is 11 inches and thats external, so internal with a 1 inch top baffle and .75 on bottom thats 10.5 inches.. leaving the space between the subs magnet/motor and the box only .5 inches...

now.. im no pro but im SURE thats not enough space for the motor to breathe.. or am i wrong?

Mounting depth is 8 3/4" for the Zv3, being the box 11" leaves 1 1/2" clearance to the bottom inside, that should be pretty decent clearance, don't worry.

ah i did my measurements wrong, i was subtracting the wood from inside the box as well...

Mounting depth is 8 3/4" for the Zv3, being the box 11" leaves 1 1/2" clearance to the bottom inside, that should be pretty decent clearance, don't worry.

Joe, (or tri) could u build me a design for a single 12 zv3 that would give an overall NET volume of 1.75-2 cubes please? tuned to 35hz

max height 11

width 31

depth 17.5

1-1.5 inch front baffle (where the subs mount) .75 everywhere else

sub up port on width side.

my box builder needs the design and all measurement info so he can start building this..

thanks for all your help

Here is your request barely 1.7 net on the suggested dimensions below, power: to 1500W, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 3/8", figure is just an assembly guide, bracing is a single 1 1/4" wooden dowel rod, if you need any changes let me know:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

zv3.jpg

zv3_pic.jpg

Here is your request barely 1.7 net on the suggested dimensions below, power: to 1500W, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 3/8", figure is just an assembly guide, bracing is a single 1 1/4" wooden dowel rod, if you need any changes let me know:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

zv3.jpg

zv3_pic.jpg

thanks a lot guy

so, a lil update, a buddy and I a few days ago spent hours making the factory 8 inch sub hole in the rear metal deck bigger to increase cabin gain. We used a jigsaw and made the 8 inch hole into a roughly 14 inch by 10 inch rectangle. We cut the same size hole in the rear deck plastic lid as well and then put it back in place..

cosmetically it looks kinda messed up cuz u can see into the deck lid and see the bare metal and stuff (ill try posting pics up later so u have a better idea as to what im saying) however, it DID increase the cabin gain/SPL which is what i was after. We were going to make the hole even bigger all the way across (picture 30 inches by 12 inches) but it was dark and we couldnt see so we called it a day.

The next few days i searched for someone to make a custom baffle or port hole to cover the hole we made in the deck lid to make it look more professional and clean. I went to a shop today and the shop does custom work. I was told that it would be a good idea to cut out the entire rear deck and then make levels out of wood that tunnel down into the trunk and then carpet everything. Would cost about 500 bucks to do this.

Then he asked me if he wanted a ported box built for my w3s and i said no because i just put a deposit down for a zv3 and was going to run that ported. He said that he would have run the w3s ported instead as it would prob get just as loud or louder than the 1 zv3 would. So i told him i didnt think i could cancel the order as i already placed a deposit and sundown prob already has started making it special order for me. So then he said when i decide on the subs that he could custom make a box for my up to 5 cubes or maybe even 6 or more and he would connect the port of the box which would be facing up to the rear deck so that all the energy and bass goes right into the cabin. I told him i would come back to him when i decide what subs im running.

I then went to my sundown dealer and told him about what had happened and he said that he could do the same stuff but his prices were more. He told me that i could possible upgrade to a zv3 15 and do a 4th order bandpass with the port connected to the rear deck just as the other guy had recommended.

He said he still recommends the 1 12zv3 ported over any other sundown set up and that it would work best for my car and would for sure get louder than 2 12 inch w3s ported.

He told me he would confirm if he can custom make a 4th order box built inside my trunk for a zv3 15 in a few days.

So if he can, i will go ahead and do that build and if he cant i will still do the zv3 12 4th order into the rear deck build. Both guys said basically the same thing in terms of getting the most sound and spl into the car, i was happy i didnt get conflicting opinions on that.

whats your take on this? do u feel this is the best option as well? any pros/cons to doing this?

No doubt the 4th order BP would eliminate any rattles and would deliver all the output into the cabin, I just think you are going to be getting large bill on this one for uncertain results, inherently 4th bandpass boxes that get loud usually introduce peakiness and cut higher bass and workarounds are needed, let them have you listen to some of their bandpass box work before deciding if that's the route you want to go.

Archived