tiny alternator need more power or better planning?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those batteries will work well. I say replace the underhood battery first because the starter gets most of its juice from there, and the alternator charging travels through there as well as the vehicle electronics. Simply it's placement closer to those items makes it the main source.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

Ok I have heard that I need an isolator and that I don't. So should I or should I not spend the money on 1. I rarely listen to music with my truck off and for the most part only drive about 20-30 miles a day and when I do my big 3 does the alt to +batt need to be fused also should I use the 0 Gage or will 4 be enough. I bought my main run before I realized that there are no upgrade options for my alt planning to go bigger like 4kw or so. Now I'm just trying to do the best possible with this damn teeny alt

Unfortunately the case has no room to put bigger stater and also has a uncommon plug and uncommon mounting feet. So everyone says they can do nothing. I can't afford to have a totally custom setup fabbed so no. If you have this engine and alt there is no upgrade or rewinding. Honestly I haven't looked in to a smaller pulley the haha. I didn't even think about that. But explorers with a 4.0 from 09 to 12 I think are the years nobody offers for mechman dc or any other companies I contacted

those batteries will work well. I say replace the underhood battery first because the starter gets most of its juice from there, and the alternator charging travels through there as well as the vehicle electronics. Simply it's placement closer to those items makes it the main source.

Well that isn't quite how it works. Batteries connected in parallel act as one. The charge doesn't flow through the front battery to the back battery. Other than the time delay because of cable lengths, the charge gets to each battery at the same time. I would still replace which ever battery is weakest first, then the other battery if you can only do one at a time.

Think of subwoofers in parallel, if you wire a shorter wire to one, does the amps output flow through that sub first?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I only have the starting battery right now. I should upgrade it first and do my big 3 agreed? Do I need to use 0 or 4 Gage for the big 3? Next get another battery or 2. When I designed my amp rack I made room for smaller batteries inside

Use 0gauge or larger wire for big three. As for rear battery(s), the more amp hours the better. So if you can fit a single 100+aH back there then do that, unless you can fit multiple smaller that have more combined aH than the single largest you can fit in the amp/battery rack you already have

Archived