Second Skin Audio

System upgrade

MrSevs

I'd upgrade amp and battery power before sub replacement. You can always adjust your gains

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

What is you overall goal? Do you compete or you looking for SQ? Tell us your end result you want? How much airspace is your current box or how much airspace do you have to play with? Sundown SA's are great subs in the correct airspace.

I do not compete but I am looking for something a bit louder than my current set up. My goals are to have a daily driver that will sound clean but will really bang when I want it to. My current box is 6.75cuft tuned to 34hz with 14 in2 port area per foot. I went with this size for reason that if I want or need to take out my box I can with ease. Dont get me wrong; these subs do get pretty loud... I guess I am just looking for a little more.

Since you aren't competing, to get significantly louder to the ear you are going to want to get somewhere around a 6 db increase in output. That's a pretty significant jump, its equivalent to increasing your wattage by a factor of four, I don't know if you are willing to do that. More cone area will help, though you probably can't fit any. Firing your subs forward and sealing off would probably get you quite a bit of increase too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Since you aren't competing, to get significantly louder to the ear you are going to want to get somewhere around a 6 db increase in output. That's a pretty significant jump, its equivalent to increasing your wattage by a factor of four, I don't know if you are willing to do that. More cone area will help, though you probably can't fit any. Firing your subs forward and sealing off would probably get you quite a bit of increase too.

I have been thinking about that... sealing off and firing subs forward. I've always been a bit skeptical because some say that you lose low end when you do that... but I guess there is only one way to find out how well it does in my car. I will definitely give this a try soon before making any other changes.

I have been thinking about that... sealing off and firing subs forward. I've always been a bit skeptical because some say that you lose low end when you do that... but I guess there is only one way to find out how well it does in my car. I will definitely give this a try soon before making any other changes.

You shouldn't lose any low end sealing off, you should gain quite a bit. If you trunk is tall enough to be able to fire your subs forward I think sealing off will get you a lot of benefit. See what sealing off gets you and then you can upgrade power/subs from there.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You shouldn't lose any low end sealing off, you should gain quite a bit. If you trunk is tall enough to be able to fire your subs forward I think sealing off will get you a lot of benefit. See what sealing off gets you and then you can upgrade power/subs from there.

Thanks! I appreciate your help and input!

A leaking seal off can make it ineffective and it's pretty common situation. Don't be put down by claims just do a good job if you try it.

Thanks!

Archived