Head Unit vs Signal Sum/Wire Taps

I'm generally a lurker, but have a question for anyone with experience on these type things. I have an 08 Denali with nav and previously I have used a Kicker ZXSUM8 as a signal summer and LOC and kept the factory door speakers as is while adding a sub amp and a 2 channel amp for components in the kick. I'm upgrading from around 1.5K to somewhere around 4.5K. Am I setting myself up for failure by not upgrading the headunit to a more advanced double din or is something like the ZXSUM8 ( I think JL Cleansweep is similar) sufficient? I guess the question is how much less likely am I to get a clean signal tapping speaker wires and running through the summer than from a headunit with proper preamp outputs?

If I understand correctly, there are a few headunits out there (Pioneer at the least it seems) where basically everything can remain as is from the factory with the exception of having preamps.

Basically I'm rambling now, but would a Pioneer or similar headunit provide a signal so much cleaner that its worth the money?

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Q Logic Kickpanels - lame 5.25 components for now

Planning/acquiring everything else

The clean sweep is a DSP (digital signal processor) whereas the kicker zxsum8 is just a LOC from the looks of it. While I'm sure that's a great LOC, a DSP offers more features and controls, such as time alignment, equalization, Bluetooth, and they're designed to have better fidelity (signal reproduction) than a LOC, and are accessible via a laptop/computer. It comes down to what features or control do you want over your music? What's your budget? And in my honest opinion, your equipment. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you use cheap speakers why buy an expensive signal processor? Not saying you do, just throwing it out there.

Well I previously had 2 L7s on a zx1500.1 and some kicker components in the kick on the 2 channel while keeping the rest of the Bose system in place. My current plan is to put 2 Loaded BL 15s on a SQ 4500D.1 (I'd like to have some headroom) and some better component sets To replace the kicker set. Probably for the time being would like to keep the Bose stuff in place until I get around to replacing the rest of it. I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth it to replace the head unit (I'm leaning towards yes), or if the zxsum8 for which I have already run wire is going to provide as clean a signal as I'd like. (I tapped the full range off the Bose amp to run to the zxsum8 last time).

I realize not many have experience with the zxsum8 which I realize is a glorified LOC, just wondering if I'd really be better off with something like the NEX pioneers. It'd obviously be nice to have more EQ/crossover control that the headunit would provide, but if I'm not drastically improving the signal is it worth the money.

For the record, electrical for this upgrade is in order, singer 270 large case is on the way plus extra xs batts

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Re-reading your reply it seems like you're saying, for example, a pioneer 8000NEX produces a much cleaner signal (not to mention more control and other great features) than a glorified LOC sourced by 16 tapped wires from the Bose amp (God knows what it does) even though the summer is supposed to provide balanced low level output. It seems logical that that is true, I guess I just was hoping to get some agreement that a new headunit is a significant upgrade as far as signal clarity/distortion/clipping from the experts before I drop a G on a headunit and harnesses, etc.

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Honestly without looking at the signal going in and the signal coming out with an oscilloscope, no one can tell you what that piece of equipment does to that signal. And since I have neither an oscope not a zxsum8, I can't help you. I can only give you the support of theory. Me personally, I prefer aftermarket head unit over factory with LOC. But I have faith in kicker. While there is better/more for the same price of kicker equipment, they do produce good products.

Well actually nearly no head unit has true pre-amp outputs anymore.... but that's a whole other can of worms....

And since you mentioned it, let's clear something else up. The brand name of whatever head unit you may/may not end up buying has ZERO to do with what factory features/functions will be retained. It's all in the interface you use to install said head unit.

But most importantly, and to get back to your real question, what's the difference in what you already have and what you're planning on doing? You're not really changing anything. Yeah, you're adding more subwoofer cone area and more power. But that has no bearing to any signal processing question. Using high-level inputs to a SUM8, which then outputs a very strong signal to your amplifiers. They're eating it up. Nothing needs to change there. And as for replacing the aftermarket components with another set, go for it. Again, you're really not changing much at all....

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

if you have the bose system then you may want to ditch the headunit. From what i remember the bose systems cut the bass a and treble as you increase volume so you are just losing before you even start. But i don't know if all bose systems do that.

My neighbor asked me about helping him upgrade his 2011 Camaro SS with the Bose system in it because as he described the sound output drops off and he can't hear it real good with the windows down as he turns the volume up. I have been doing some research on how to help him upgrade. He said he has about $1000 or so budget, wants to keep factory HU, replace speakers and factory amp(s). I am not sure if it has more than one amp. He does not want to do subs at this time. I will be following this thread to get some ideas.

Archived