trying to learn. Few questions

If I am corrent and im not too sure im trying to learn. Don't you use only the alternator voltage until it drops into 12.8 which is what the battery rest at?

Meaning if I have a 2k watt amp with a 270A alt and 2 d3100 batteries and if voltage drops to 13.5

If I had a 2k watt amp on a 370A alt and 2 3100 batteries WOULD VOLTAGE STAY HIGHER THAN 13.5? Adding more batteries wont keep voltage above 14.0 will it?

I am trying to understand the use of batteries and alt. Is the battery being used at all when voltage is above 12.8?

No. You pull amperage from the alt first then battery(s). The only need for extra batteries is if your alt can't supply the current you're trying to draw. I prefer to have a second battery in the rear though, for ease of wiring. I can have my three power and three grounds for my amplifier coming from it easier than I can making all of those runs from the front or to a distribution block then to amps.

No. You pull amperage from the alt first then battery(s). The only need for extra batteries is if your alt can't supply the current you're trying to draw. I prefer to have a second battery in the rear though, for ease of wiring. I can have my three power and three grounds for my amplifier coming from it easier than I can making all of those runs from the front or to a distribution block then to amps.

so say for instance i have a 4 channel amp running 75x4 its a 60A fuse. I have 4 gauge going to that. I have a singer 270A alt with 1 55ah battery up front. If i put on ac or try to roll down all windows same time ( testing) i got voltage drop to 13.2 That was with the music quiet

so if i had same amp on both 270a alt and on a 370a alt the voltage drop will be less on the 370a even if the 270a had tons of batteries?

Its going to depend on your vehicle, how you have the alt wired (how it's being regulated), where you idle at, etc

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Did it stay at 13.2 or drop for a second and jump back up? And it does depend on vehicle some because with all of these "fuel efficient" vehicles nowadays, the alternators are PCM controlled to prevent the alt from working when it doesn't need to. My voltage drops to 14.3 (holding 14.6 full tilt at idle) when I roll a window up or down. Singer 270 6 phase hairpin. If it only drops for a second while doing that then you have no issue. But if you drop and maintain that low voltage then something is preventing your alt from outputting, or your wiring isn't that great (just my opinion). I have a feeling these aren't just random questions but are actual things you're experiencing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

it will drop to 13.2 if I hit all the switches for the window at the same time. Then if I release all the windows it goes back up to 14.0

I am pcm bypassed on a 270a Singer 6 phase alt. I have a 55 ah block shakers battery up front only running a alpine pdx 5 using 4 channels for speakers.

I have big 3 upgraded with 0 gauge. I have asked Mike about this but he said something about the batteries.

Cold start I charge at 14.8, once its warm I sit around 14.0 even if I only hit 1 switch on the master switch I still get voltage drop to 13.5

Ill test again today when I go home. Also if I don't have my ac on, no battery light, as soon as ac is turned on my battery light comes on. I know its probably because im pcm bypassed. When I first got the alt I charged at 14.8 and with my vfl 175.1 (3300rms) and my pdx 5 I got only drops to 14.0 full tilt. That was with 200ah of batteries, but since then I have pulled out my big amp and bigger battery.

I feel like before when I first installed the alt it would stay at 14.3-14.5 hot, now it doesn't. I have checked my grounds, added grounds. charged battery.

Ill see if I can pull up some of the email from mike when I get home.

How long have you had the block shakers battery? I don't know much about them, I think they're relatively new. load test it if you can, if it's not performing where it should be and draining on your electrical.

From what i was told window motors pull alot of power. i idle about 14.2 & my voltage will drop to 13's when i go to put my windows up. But i dont have a hi output alternator

Unless your putting your windows up and down all day i wouldn't worry about it to much assuming everything else works properly.

Archived