Second Skin Audio

switching sub size of the same model

dnb1982

No, they will not sound the same. Even if they use the exact same motor, using the different diaphragm will yield different T/S parameters.

And a properly designed enclosure can deal with that change in the t/s parameters.

Post your max dimensions and I'm sure someone will help you plot something out with the response curve you are looking for(well on paper anyways because it will change inside the vehicle).

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

No, they will not sound the same. Even if they use the exact same motor, using the different diaphragm will yield different T/S parameters.

And a properly designed enclosure can deal with that change in the t/s parameters.

Post your max dimensions and I'm sure someone will help you plot something out with the response curve you are looking for(well on paper anyways because it will change inside the vehicle).

Maximum dimensions: 33L x 44W x 33H

Maximum dimensions are...

height: 33

width: 44

depth: 28

Even though the 15's would be well below their rms? I mean I understand there is a good deal more cone area with a pair of 15's over 18's, but at what point below their rms would you figure cone area doesn't become a factor anymore?

When comparing like subs there is pretty much no point where cone area doesn't matter. Efficiency comes from cone area and box size.

Also there is nothing wrong with playing subs under their RMS. If you looked at how much power almost all subs are ACTUALLY getting when playing music you would be shocked at how small of an amount it is.

An 18" is going to sound a little different than an 15" would, the difference may be so small as to be imperceptible, but its still there, or it could be more significant, it just depends on the particular subs in question. A better way to answer your question would be to model both subs in software like WinISD, BassBoxPro, etc. Then you will be able to see what the difference may be and make a decision from there.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Even though the 15's would be well below their rms? I mean I understand there is a good deal more cone area with a pair of 15's over 18's, but at what point below their rms would you figure cone area doesn't become a factor anymore?

When comparing like subs there is pretty much no point where cone area doesn't matter. Efficiency comes from cone area and box size.

Also there is nothing wrong with playing subs under their RMS. If you looked at how much power almost all subs are ACTUALLY getting when playing music you would be shocked at how small of an amount it is.

An 18" is going to sound a little different than an 15" would, the difference may be so small as to be imperceptible, but its still there, or it could be more significant, it just depends on the particular subs in question. A better way to answer your question would be to model both subs in software like WinISD, BassBoxPro, etc. Then you will be able to see what the difference may be and make a decision from there.

Ok, this definitely helps a bit more.

Personally, I don't think different T/S parameters always mean that your ear can tell the difference. People find over small db's and watts, but when you're in the car, can you scientifically pick which one was louder every time? Most likely not. Mythbusters...make it happen.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

Archived