Second Skin Audio

Coil smell please help

i have a memphis prx 1000.1 pushing 1 hds312d4 wired to a 2 ohm final. After beating it pretty hard fo about 10 mins it starts smelling and the motor gets pretty damn hot. Is the smell normal for brand new subs? (its only been played about a week) and it it normal to get hot? How hot is too hot?

2009 Chevy 2500HD

6" Lift

35" Nittos

22"x13" Fuel Kranks

Pioneer App Radio 3

Alpine 500x5

Memphis PRX 1.1000

Memphis Mojo5 12"

Red Oracle Halos

They had a little smell at first when I got mine but it's very faint. And mine don't get warm wired to 2ohm for 1300w/sub. Beating the dead horse, but if you're getting hot after a couple minutes then I think you might have some issues with the way you set your gain. How did you?

They had a little smell at first when I got mine but it's very faint. And mine don't get warm wired to 2ohm for 1300w/sub. Beating the dead horse, but if you're getting hot after a couple minutes then I think you might have some issues with the way you set your gain. How did you?

i thought i set it properly. but ill check again. I wasnt aware that would affect it but it makes sense. Could that also be the reason my mids and highs amp is getting so hot?

its an alpine 500x5 and sometimes i could cook on it

2009 Chevy 2500HD

6" Lift

35" Nittos

22"x13" Fuel Kranks

Pioneer App Radio 3

Alpine 500x5

Memphis PRX 1.1000

Memphis Mojo5 12"

Red Oracle Halos

What did you use to set your gain?

Also, what is your enclosure tuned to? What music are you listening to? Playing below tuning will cause them to get a little stinky too

yup its a gain issue ..ur pushing a 1200w rms sub with 500w ..the prx amps are 1 ohm stable so 1000x 1ohm 500x2ohm ..u must have just cranked it up til it sounded "good"..u cant set gains by ear .. use dd1

..u can also just buy a new amp that will do 1000 at 2ohms ..ur not even pushing wag that sub can do

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

It sounds like a tuning issue. You're either playing clipped music or your settings on the amp and head unit are done incorrectly. Just go back and make sure you've got all that bass boost stuff turned off, the "loud" setting off, crossing around 80 (normal for most). Then once you've worked the head unit settings go to the amp and do the same and set your subsonic (if you have one) to somewhere between 20-30 (depending on where you're tuned to). Bass boost off, gains set appropriately with a DD1 or O-Scope, and low pass around 80 ish. Then once you've got all the tuning done correctly go to your music and make sure you're not playing anything that is nothing but a clipped signal.

yup its a gain issue ..ur pushing a 1200w rms sub with 500w ..the prx amps are 1 ohm stable so 1000x 1ohm 500x2ohm ..u must have just cranked it up til it sounded "good"..u cant set gains by ear .. use dd1

..u can also just buy a new amp that will do 1000 at 2ohms ..ur not even pushing wag that sub can do

You'd be surprised at how small of a difference it makes to add that much power. I have two of those subs, ran them on a 1200 (600w a piece) for two years, then moved up to the soundqubed 3500 this past December, wired at 2ohm 2600W, and while there is a difference in output with that 1400w increase, it's really not that much. The amp he's using pushes 750 @ 2ohm according to the rating, he doesn't need to upgrade his amp, the difference to a 1200 watt @ 2ohm amp won't matter given it will only ever see half of that real world.

Gain not set. Done.

firebirdude: Fuck your damn profile picture...it got me.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived