Mechman Alternators

Low charging voltage

Get it externally regulated if you want voltage. Skip the car's electronics altogether.

Besides.... Didn't you buy the alternator for the amperage not the voltage? Charging too high is overrated IMO. Been there, done that, got the prize. Prize being fried batteries in less than a year.

What were you charging at?

Damn really, so did your batts get fried because you kept a high voltage all the time with no drop?

Yeah pretty much. You don't gain much by charging higher. Once you drop voltage you'll be dropping to battery voltage regardless. Shoot for the summer I'm only charging at 13.3v. Winter time is 13.8

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

I should add that voltage drop is the same either way

Get it externally regulated if you want voltage. Skip the car's electronics altogether.

Besides.... Didn't you buy the alternator for the amperage not the voltage? Charging too high is overrated IMO. Been there, done that, got the prize. Prize being fried batteries in less than a year.

What were you charging at?

Damn really, so did your batts get fried because you kept a high voltage all the time with no drop?

Yeah pretty much. You don't gain much by charging higher. Once you drop voltage you'll be dropping to battery voltage regardless. Shoot for the summer I'm only charging at 13.3v. Winter time is 13.8
Thanks snow, just wondering cause I don't want the same thing to happen to my batts.

i keep telling people not to charge at 14.4 because batteries wont last. they never listen. thats why i like voltage regulators.. set it at 13.8 for daily and 14.4 to get loud on certain days but it stays at 13.8 for the most part.. a few hundred watts aint shit

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Shoot look at stock Toyotas they only charge at 13.4-5 and their batteries last SO long