Second Skin Audio

Got Bored Cool Box

someone on another forum said my ratios are still far off and i should shrink the sealed section all the way down to 5.5 cu ft. To me that seems WAYYY to small

I'm assuming that person is a master designer with proven designs? Possibly even experience with the same 24" sub you're going to be using? If the answer is no on either, that opinion doesn't and shouldn't mean dick.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Don't consider this advice by any means, just stirring the pot in a sense

I've been told by some very very loud people that the sealed section should be small. Iirc the words they used were "as small as it can be and still fit the sub"

But these guys don't play music either so take it with a grain of salt

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Don't consider this advice by any means, just stirring the pot in a sense

I've been told by some very very loud people that the sealed section should be small. Iirc the words they used were "as small as it can be and still fit the sub"

But these guys don't play music either so take it with a grain of salt

It would be nice if when people give suggestions like that they would explain why to do it that way and what it does.

The sealed section determines how the box is going to sound once you get a fair amount below the tuning frequency. On a SPL box the front chamber is going to be so large to get maximum gain that the sealed side's contribution to the sound is going to be irrelevant. Making it small will raise the resonant frequency of the sub an increase mechanical power handling, so that would be my guess as to why they make it small.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I just want to add this, the ideal tuning for a 4th order in any application. Is to tune the ported section to the resonant frequency of the sub in the sealed section.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I just want to add this, the ideal tuning for a 4th order in any application. Is to tune the ported section to the resonant frequency of the sub in the sealed section.

iirc the FS of the sub is 23hz and you're basically saying id have to meter the sub in a sealed box to determined the were it peaks and tune the ported there? If that was the cause wouldnt that change depending on the size of the sealed section? Ie the bigger the box the lower the tune?

sorry just altittle confused on the subject and what you're implying

You can easily model the resonance(some call this resonant frequency but it's properly called sealed resonance) of your sealed chamber in WINIsd or Bassbox pro 6.

The bigger the sealed chamber, yes, the lower the resonance. Once you have found out what your resonance is, you can then calculate the tuning for your ported chamber.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yes that is exactly how it will work. Like I said, that is the most IDEAL way to tune the port of a 4th order for best results. Generally it is almost always in the 40-60 hz range from what I have seen people post. Just going with 45hz will not kill all your output and not make a night and day difference from it being tuned spot on to your peak, unless of course the resonance is like 60hz. Then yeah, that big of a difference would be huge. But let's just say for the sake of a fuck, your sealed section peaks at 46.4hz. Hypothetically speaking of course. And you go and tune to 43-45Hz, even 47-49Hz, it won't be a gigantic difference. Please Ttritcum, if I am speaking blasphemy, stop me.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

...Please Ttritcum, if I am speaking blasphemy, stop me.

I think your post pretty much hit the nail on the head.

To expand on what you said a little bit, in my opinion the importance of tuning the front chamber to the match the Fb of rear chamber is a bit overstated in the car audio world. I think people run into a lot more issues from trying to use a sub that is inappropriate for 4th order bandpass use.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived