Sundown Audio

Setting My Gain Without the DD-1

LoweredA34

This has been discussed here before and I've read everything about setting gains properly with the tools made by Mr. Tony D'amore.

However, I would like some advice from the people who have been doing this for years.

I have a Crescendo S1500.1. Now, I'm not a cheap ass and I like doing things right the first time. But is there no calculator to assist me in setting it? I have an aftermarket deck (Kenwood DDX272), 0 Gauge OFC Sky High Wire with their copper lugs, and my subwoofers are wired to 1 Ohm.

Before I even touch the gain, tell me if this is correct.

I need to first set my deck's equalizer to flat, (+0 db across all stages), do not touch "Loudness Level", do not touch "Bass Boost" in my deck nor my amplifier, and then play a High quality song of my choice, and then at this step is where I should adjust my gain properly, right?

Does anyone have some advice to give other than getting the DD-1? I don't want to drop that cash right now for a tool I'll use once. :unknw: :unknw:

not unless you want to buy an o-scope. I bought mine, and I can't tell you how many times I've used it. I've set my gains multiple times, and I've also used it to set amp gains for people I know, and people I've installed for. To me, it's worth every penny.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

You can get a few mini oscopes for half the price of a DD-1. Just do your research to find the ones that are worth it. But DD-1 is well worth it and you'll more than likely use it more than once

to me a dd1 is easier to read than an oscope, green is good red is bad cant get much simpler than that lol

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

nope, not at all. You'd first have to know what level your hu distorts at, and you can't figure that out without an o-scope or dd-1. So really you can't even get past the first step of setting gains, unless you have the proper tools. Now you could go to the tool map, and see if there is anyone close to you that has a dd-1 and contact them.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

I'll search the tools map first. If that doesnt show anything promising near me then I'll do it the way @bassaddiction just described. I mean for now, until i meet someone who has the tools I'm just going to try and ballpark it, and if i notice anything getting excessively hot to the touch (dustcaps/amp) then I'll tone it down a bit.

dont use a song, use test tones. You need a consistant tone that is repeatable to set gains. Songs, even high quality ones, are far to random to set gains with.

Archived