Second Skin Audio

What would be louder?

My friend has two Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 12"s in a sealed enclosure, however, he's only getting 300W to them, and it's in a prefab. I'm planning on buying my first subwoofer either today, or definitely tomorrow, and am going to be giving it 150W (for now, it's coming from my 4-channel RF amp). It will be in a ported enclosure, and I probably won't get one that has the same RMS rating as his Punch's, which is 1K (500x2). Depending on price I may end up buying two subwoofers, still unsure of size. Going to an audio shop today (very reputable in New England) and am going to see what they have.

I know it all depends on what sub it is, the build quality, RMS, dB sensitivity and car, but as a reference, would I get at least the same sound with 150W in a custom ported enclosure tuned correctly as he is in a crappy prefab but with better woofers? I'm not trying to be louder than him so to speak, but I want around the same sound output inside the vehicle. I just need it to hold me off till I get my new car and can get some serious bass going. Since I'm a beginner to car audio and have only heard 3 subwoofers in my life, I'm easily happy with lower wattage outputs than people who are used to thousands of watts systems.

Current Build

2000 Subaru Legacy L Sedan

Alpine CDE-151

Precision Power S2.65c (Front)

Kenwood KFC-1695PS (Rear)

Rockford Fosgate R300-4 50x4 RMS

KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge OFC

My friend has two Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 12"s in a sealed enclosure, however, he's only getting 300W to them, and it's in a prefab. I'm planning on buying my first subwoofer either today, or definitely tomorrow, and am going to be giving it 150W (for now, it's coming from my 4-channel RF amp). It will be in a ported enclosure, and I probably won't get one that has the same RMS rating as his Punch's, which is 1K (500x2). Depending on price I may end up buying two subwoofers, still unsure of size. Going to an audio shop today (very reputable in New England) and am going to see what they have.

I know it all depends on what sub it is, the build quality, RMS, dB sensitivity and car, but as a reference, would I get at least the same sound with 150W in a custom ported enclosure tuned correctly as he is in a crappy prefab but with better woofers? I'm not trying to be louder than him so to speak, but I want around the same sound output inside the vehicle. I just need it to hold me off till I get my new car and can get some serious bass going. Since I'm a beginner to car audio and have only heard 3 subwoofers in my life, I'm easily happy with lower wattage outputs than people who are used to thousands of watts systems.

You will need to build it and test. Too many variables.

Its impossible to answer that. There are just too many variables. I will say that a sealed prefab is a lot less likely to perform terribly than a ported one is, there is just a lot less that can be done poorly on a sealed box.

I wouldn't be in hurry to buy anything until you do more research into what exactly you want. If you post info about how much money you want to spend, how much space you have to work with, and what kind of music you listen to I'm sure you will get some recommendations.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm about to go measure my car for dimensions actually lol. But I've seen a picture online of a guy with 2 DC 10"s in a ported enclosure in his trunk with same exact car, so I'm sure I have plenty of room. Price wise I'm only looking to spend $100ish. Like I said I just need it to hold me off.

P.S. I've been researching subwoofers for quite awhile, I just can't decide if I want to go with a lower wattage sub or a higher wattage considering my 4-channel situation.

Current Build

Alpine CDE-151

KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge OFC

If you are looking to spend $100 I would just get one sub than trying to get two $50 subs. If you want to get the most output, get the biggest subs that your space can support, which will probably be a 15". When you post your specs for your space we can tell you for sure. A $100 budget is going to limit your options a bit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Don't go for cheap brands, it's better to stick with the good/decent brands.

Kicker, Rockford fosgate, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Infinity,Pioneer.

Don't go for brands like: Audiopipe, Boss,Hifonics,...

I'd suggest a RF P1 15inch or Kicker comp 15 inch for the best bang/buck.

With that money, I personally would go for a second hand subwoofer.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

JBL GTO subs.

+1

Too bad JBL discontinued them and they are getting hard to find.

Builds:

I would never go with something like Boss lol. I ended up buying two Hertz Deici DS30.3s from an audio shop. He had a buy one get one free deal as he was moving them, only cost $150. Considering you can't get Hertz anywhere but dealers in person, I'm pretty happy. I have yet to get them in an enclosure. My buddy who is making the enclosure this weekend said he'd see what he can do about ported given my trunk dimensions, but he said we may end up having to go sealed unless I want a higher tuned ported box. So I'm going to hear how the ported sounds, and he said if I don't like it he can easily rebuild to a sealed. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know how it sounds!

P.S. We put my friends Punch HX2's in my trunk and they sounded quieter, except I wasn't running any bass boost from my amp and he's running quite a bit. It did have a MUCH warmer sound, which I like. I think it has to do with the build quality difference between his Saturn SL and my Subaru Legacy. My car had no rattles at all besides my license plate, but his entire car rattles to no end. So I think I should be pretty happy with the outcome!

Current Build

Alpine CDE-151

KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge OFC

Archived