Externally Regulated Jeep ALT Question

Looking for help from the community to see if anyone has experience with externally regulating a Jeep alternator. '08 Grand Cherokee, 320A Mechman Alt. My issue is, that when I switch to an external regulator, the factory wiring harness must be un-plugged from the alternator, to accomodate the new harness coming from the regulator box. Due to this, the Jeep's computer gives an error light on the dash, and goes into a "power save" mode, because it thinks the charging system is malfunctioning. In return, this disables the A/C, fog lights, heated seats, and power outlets.

I tried re-installing the stock alternator just to double check, and all works fine. I ended up having mechman switch it back to an internally regulated model because I could not figure out a fix for this, and they also do not know of a remedy. If anyone knows of a work around for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

08' Grand Cherokee

(2) DC Lvl 4 12's

• 2 weeks later...

You might be able to wire in a resistor across the plugs of the harness so it thinks the alt is connected. Something in the 5-6 ohm range perhaps..

Just a shot in the dark though. I can see what wiring diagrams I can dig up tomorrow and see if I can get any info

I also want to to try this: With your mechman hooked up to the external regulator, also take your stock alt and plug into the stock plug. Stock alt is not mounted, doesn't have a belt on it, it's just sitting in the engine bay with the plug in.

With that, ground the stock alt casing and see what happens when you start your car.

Sounds like you need this : # FRM - Field Replacement Module for Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep vehicles - Use With ERCK kit to put out the Check Engine Light

This module simulates the alternator to trick your PCM's computer into thinking the alternator is still attached, getting rid of the fault code & no charge light.

http://alternatorparts.com/

Now that I look at it, looks to be just a resistor

Archived