FI 4 life Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 A buddy of mine is doing a 4th order wall in my ext cab dodge ram 1500. I have 2 crossfire xsv2. With 3 in the wall my ratio will he 2.8:1 ratio. If I decide to do 2 the ratio will be a 3:1. I don't care for meter. My goals are loud and low with hair tricks. Daily musical use. 45hz tuning. I'm asking what ratio will be best for me. Amp I have is 1 crescendo 5500. Soon to have 2.
Raptorman Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 Big as possible. 1996 GMC Sonoma Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass 2 Ampere 5k's @ .5 TEAM FI TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said: Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 Ratios are for people who don't understand how bandpass boxes work. They tell you nothing. Ask your buddy who is designing the box what kind of frequency response to expect with different front chamber volumes. The larger the front chamber the more efficient the box will be, but over a smaller frequency range. Different subs are going to respond to same front chamber volume in different ways. The problem with ratios is what happens when you change the rear chamber size? Say you double the rear chamber size, that would cut the ratio in half, but it wouldn't make an otherwise peaky box any less peaky. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm just trying to illustrate the point that bandpass box design isn't as simple as saying "1:1 ratios have flat response and 3:1 are peaky". There is a LOT more to it and I suggest asking a lot of questions so you know what you are going to be getting. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Raptorman Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 Have heard up to a 5:1, and plenty other high ratios.Have yet to hear one that didn't play everything. Leave the paper-theory out of it.Shrug.Edit: But everything else, is spot on. 1996 GMC Sonoma Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass 2 Ampere 5k's @ .5 TEAM FI TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said: Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.
Krakin Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 I like how a proven science is "paper theory" in your eyes. Acoustical engineering is one of the hardest fields to work in as you have pretty much every aspect of science in one aspect. It is even possible to measure the difference the moon's phases have on sound. Is it worth doing? No, but that is just to show how many little components of every single system there are. There is absolutely no denying that a larger front chamber will increase output nearing a certain frequency. Why else in the world would it be called a bandpass enclosure if it didn't cause just that, a bandpass? Basic acoustics of a vehicle are what make it possible to use them and still retain enough low-end response to not absolutely hate the sound of them at stupidly over sized enclosures. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
diegoclass2010 Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 ........... good information flowing. i like these kinds of threads
FI 4 life Posted September 2, 2015 Author Report Posted September 2, 2015 So would 2 subs be louder in my case Than 3? I just don't want to pay someone to do something and it turn out to be not how I like it
Raptorman Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 Basic acoustics of a vehicle are what make it possible to use them and still retain enough low-end response to not absolutely hate the sound of them at stupidly over sized enclosures. There ya go. You posted my response for me. 1996 GMC Sonoma Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass 2 Ampere 5k's @ .5 TEAM FI TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said: Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 2, 2015 Report Posted September 2, 2015 So would 2 subs be louder in my case Than 3? I just don't want to pay someone to do something and it turn out to be not how I like it All else being equal, more cone area generally wins. Are you talking about two vs three subs of the same make/model and in the same style of box? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.