Any firearm in the hands of someone who has never fired a shot in anger or out of self defense has the potential to put holes in something other than your intended target.

I use 220 grain 300aac with a silencerco Omega as one of my house guns.

I usually don't see the need to divulge such info but since home defense is being discussed and some misinformation is being tossed around I figured I would share.

The shooter, not the weapon is the problem.

Do not use an ar for home defense, a rifle is a very bad choice for that.

Misconception.

223 can travel at 3300+ fps. Vs a 45 at 900 fps. A wall will slow down the 45 faster than it would a 223. It might take a few wall before 223 slows down

Know your backstop. A rifle is a perfectly fine home defense weapon

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

If you have perfect aiming and use hallow points. But chances are you will miss the target and could kill someone else. I rather not take that chance

You're looking at the surface of ballistics here.

"Proponents of the pistol for home defense like to think that because its just a pistol round, overpenetration really wont be an issue. Such is not the case. Drywall sheets and hollow-core doors (which are what youll find in the majority of homes and apartments in this country) offer almost no resistance to bullets. Unless brick or cinderblock was used somewhere in your construction, any pistol cartridge powerful enough to be thought of as suitable for self-defense is likely to fly completely through every wall in your abode. In fact, hollowpoint pistol bullets tend to plug up as they go through drywall, turning themin effectinto round-nose bullets. Round buckshot pellets are just as bad, and shotgun slugs are worse......

For years many people just assumed they knew what would happen to a rifle bullet fired indoorsit would go through every wall available and then exit the building. While armor-piercing and FMJ ammunition is specifically designed to do this, extensive testing has shown that light, extremely fast-moving .223 projectiles (including FMJs) often fragment when they hit a barrier as soft as thin plywood."

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Know your backstop?

That's pretty funny because the last thing you're going to think about if you're in the situation where you have to kill someone will be what's behind them.

My dads cousin was not only was in special ops he also trained special ops teams and swat teams, if he says shotgun I'll take his advice.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Do not use an ar for home defense, a rifle is a very bad choice for that.

Misconception.

223 can travel at 3300+ fps. Vs a 45 at 900 fps. A wall will slow down the 45 faster than it would a 223. It might take a few wall before 223 slows down

Terminal ballistics. What does the projectile do once it hits something? How does it expand? Does it expand? How far will it travel once it begins its expansion if at all?

Barring big bore rifles, most will be just fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Saying a small arm round, just because it is fast is unsafe inside your dwelling says you need training and a better understanding of the physics of shooting...

Any firearm has the potential to travel through walls that's not why I'd chose a shotgun over anything else.

I'd also like to say whatever gun you have is the best choice because some only have one.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived