DD-1 Question

Is it half as much bass at lower volumes or at full volume?

I ask because if gain is set too high, it'll be quieter at low volumes, but as your turn the radio up, the bass won't get any louder due to clipping at it will sound roughly the same at full volume

Yeah, and the DD-1 isn't to make your system louder, it's to protect you and your property. Very well could be like you said, maybe that's as much clean output as your gear has if you set everything up right.

You should gain match too, but I doubt that'd make it ouder.

One other thing to check is that you didn't hook something up out of phase when you plugged everything back in,

What was a song you were playing?

And what do you normally listen to?

Out of curiosity did you set gain with the gain with the subs wired to the amp or disconnected?

Yeah, and the DD-1 isn't to make your system louder, it's to protect you and your property. Very well could be like you said, maybe that's as much clean output as your gear has if you set everything up right.

You should gain match too, but I doubt that'd make it ouder.

One other thing to check is that you didn't hook something up out of phase when you plugged everything back in,

I know it wont make it louder but I cant believe that ive been distorting my sa 10s for almost a year daily and they never smell or have failed.

Completely disconnect the subs from the amp and retry. But I'm still betting it's the music itself is recorded/compressed to a lower level than the -7.5db you set the amp to. I have a ton of compressed MP3's that I downloaded over the years, that do great on -10db. I recently started using lossless files and -10db is too much, the subs get smelly quick if I don't turn it down.

Try resetting with your subs connected, mimic voltage drop and load on the amp

If that doesn't do it, it might be a case of use -10db and be mindful of how you play it

Completely disconnect the subs from the amp and retry. But I'm still betting it's the music itself is recorded/compressed to a lower level than the -7.5db you set the amp to. I have a ton of compressed MP3's that I downloaded over the years, that do great on -10db. I recently started using lossless files and -10db is too much, the subs get smelly quick if I don't turn it down.

I used the -10db when I first got the DD-1 and switched to the -7.5.db by what others suggested on here but couldnt really tell much difference. Ok I'll try completely disconnecting them.