Second Skin Audio

How do i know what my port area should be?

CamEnglish

The only downside I can think of right now besides the length related to a large port is resonances. I have forgotten how to calculate how to find them. I just aim for what Triticum stated.

If you need a port too long to fit in your car, you need smaller subs or less subs.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The only downside I can think of right now besides the length related to a large port is resonances. I have forgotten how to calculate how to find them. I just aim for what Triticum stated.

If you need a port too long to fit in your car, you need smaller subs or less subs.

Wouldn't the resonances be caused by excessive port length?

I read that when a port is to long it will start to have 1/4 wave effects and alter The response curve.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

And port length increases with port area increasing.

However you want to connect the dots, it truly is due to the length. I know for a fact that there is no variable in the calculations that rely on cross-sectional area.

Resonances are caused by length, length is due to internal volume and port area, however, I neglect internal volume as that is usually non-negotiable with me once I find the one I want but, with port area that can normally be controlled more.

Once again I have spent the last 5 months memorizing formulas and shit tons and other stuff for work and classes so most of the formulas I once knew for audio calculations are not completed in my head so there could be other factors that could be derived or integrated from what I remember, but I don't necessarily care at this point.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

is this too peaky? This is my first box so i dont know if this would sound like shit or what http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o565/GlobalFriction/Captssssure.png

Everyone has different tolerance to peaking, many people care about nothing as long as it hits so who knows if you are one of those or not, what you must pay attention is to avoid the driver to bottom out, and it will really start sounding pretty bad if you go above Xmax so check out your excursion plot on WinISD, on max power you should keep within Xmax, keep your port not much longer than 40" to avoid issues with port resonances.

Archived