Sonic Electronix

general question speakers, amps, crossovers.

Crossovers gradually filter away sound from the point where they're set. If you have two crossovers doing the same thing you get twice the steepness in that curve to put it really simple.

If you know what you're doing active might have a higher potential to sound the best, and there will be some difference in sound for what you are asking. If it's for better or worse depends on you and the setup. And you'll ned a seperate amp channel for each speaker and the right filtering options, preferably a sound prosessor or a HU with active crossover settings etc.

Ok, you can say between active and passive but, with the exact same mids and highs that would have come in a component set. Would the sound alike?

The other thing was if you put a passive crossover on an amp but, the amp also has a crossover whats going to happened? Is there going to be over filtering.

I would say no, it would sound different. The midbass driver usually takes the most of the power while passing through a passive crossover. If you run active you can manipulate the power to the tweeter. It will be louder. Generally speaking, passives have set points for the given mids/highs after hours of testing by the manufacturer. You can alter them to your liking going active. At the SBN show, I heard a few active set ups and wow ,what a difference in the tweeters. So yes, they would sound different. Just remember doing so may ruin them if you're not sure of what you're doing. So your "I can get my hands on these for X amount" may in the end wind up costing you more. Since now you're going to need X,Y,Z to make it work. lol.

A few of us have been down this road. Weighs your options carefully.

-Frank

I have two questions?i have a 04 Cadillac Escalade.I just finished fiber glassing my front doors.There are six 6 1/2 and six tweeters(component speakers) on each door Precision Power 52.65C 100 WATT MAX.The middle doors I am running 1 set of Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 component speaker 60.9 270 watts peak 90 watts rms.also 2 tweeters in the pillers. I have 2 Rockford Fosgate prime 250 watts RMS AMPS and 1 Rockford Fosgate prime 300 rms 4 channels.for the front doors the precision powers have 12 passive crossovers and the infinity has 2.My question is do I need more 4 channels amps to run 30 speakers and what is the correct wiring for all those crossovers..i don't want to burn up any amps.

I have an 04 Cadillac Escalade base model.I am going to run 4 15" orion hcca 154...4000 watt peak 2000 watts RMS on 2 fsd audio 5k..I want to keep my middle seats..what would my box specs and port size be. I want a box like whats in steve meade tahoo.all 4 speakers in the same chamber,facing up with the port in the back and how many batteries will I need for this application.

Archived