Sonic Electronix

general question speakers, amps, crossovers.

What is the difference in sound between a component set on an amp and the same speakers minus the crossovers on the same amp?

It seems to me the passive would or the amps crossover with clash with each other.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Your question is a little difficult to understand, do you mean active vs passive or?

What do you think of when you say clashing? In a "regular" simple setup the amp filters away the low notes and the passive does the transition between mid and tweet, no clashing there.

One thing that's different is you'll need less power to be equally loud due to the crossover not stealing power.

And of cource you'll need to do active filtering to each speaker.

Ok, you can say between active and passive but, with the exact same mids and highs that would have come in a component set. Would the sound alike?

The other thing was if you put a passive crossover on an amp but, the amp also has a crossover whats going to happened? Is there going to be over filtering.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Let say I get a hold of a good component set with no passive. If I use the mids and highs would it sounds much different then if I had the passive installed?

I am questioning because I have access to two sets of components minus the crossovers and for the price I can run active for a few bucks or get them and search for some crossovers which my nor be worth it in the end. Im wondering if the passive is so great I have to have it to sound good.

Archived