Setting Gain with Flat EQ - Why?

RMC66

That doesn't really matter. I ran a "60 watt" rms comp set on a 150x4 amp. It's all dependant on crossovers and how you are with the volume knob

Well, once the HU is clear of distortion and set to MUO then I'll set my amps to the rated RMS of my speakers with some math and a DMM. so that the volume knob doesn't become a club, but a shrapened sword for slaying my music.

The -10dB tone means that you're matching your amplifier to cleanly play music that has been recorded then attenuated at -10dB. but not all music is created equal, so the level that music was recorded at is different from the next song from a different studio, etc. And file compression comes in to play as well. I use -10dB, and I know when I need to lower the volume depending on the song, because it has a lower attenuation.

That doesn't really matter. I ran a "60 watt" rms comp set on a 150x4 amp. It's all dependant on crossovers and how you are with the volume knob

Well, once the HU is clear of distortion and set to MUO then I'll set my amps to the rated RMS of my speakers with some math and a DMM. so that the volume knob doesn't become a club, but a shrapened sword for slaying my music.

Okay...

RMC66, this guy explains it for you. I see what you're saying- if 0 is the absolute level why not tune to that- well you can't plain and simple.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/96978-test-tones-and-tuning-tutorial-all-new-links-again/

Reedal, I am little lost when he talks about boosted bass and non boosted bass music, whether to use -5 or -10dB. Anyway to rephrase it. I think I set my gains when I first joined this forum with a 50Hz test tune. I do not recall if it had a (-)dB to it. I downloaded it from mp3skull I believe.

-Frank

The -10dB tone means that you're matching your amplifier to cleanly play music that has been recorded then attenuated at -10dB. but not all music is created equal, so the level that music was recorded at is different from the next song from a different studio, etc. And file compression comes in to play as well. I use -10dB, and I know when I need to lower the volume depending on the song, because it has a lower attenuation.

Okay, that actually makes a little more sense. so is this the most common attenuation music is recorded at? and, because it's lower, is their risk that -5 or 0db or positive db tracks will cause distorion/clipping (as i'm thinking higher means louder right?)

I think you just answered your own question. :D

Higher is louder, but will increase clipping exponentially. Don't forget this dB thing. It's about sine wave amplitude, signal, noise level (distortion), etc. Music is recorded

to allow for a buffer or headroom you can adjust to.

Now you're making me want to down load a new test tone with -5 and -10dB.

Damn it!!!! lol.

-Frank

So in other words, if you tune to -10db, if you play a song that is -8dB, you may need to lower your volume level because the bass level recording is actually higher because it is closer to 0dB as a reference. So the -10dB tuned amp would amplify the -8dB signal at a higher level than if it was recorded at -10dB? Sort of an inverse relationship of sorts?

-Frank

Higher is louder, but will increase clipping exponentially. Don't forget this dB thing. It's about sine wave amplitude, signal, noise level (distortion), etc. Music is recorded

Damn it!!!! lol.

-Frank

Frank, so that means you test yours at something OTHER than -10db, which kinda proves my point of why test with it... I know it's what SMD suggest, and some other vids suggested.... still don't know exactly why. lol

Damn it!!!! lol.

-Frank

Frank, so that means you test yours at something OTHER than -10db, which kinda proves my point of why test with it... I know it's what SMD suggest, and some other vids suggested.... still don't know exactly why. lol

RMC66, I think I'm starting to understand it.(?) It has to be an inverse relationship. If you set the amp gain with a -10dB gain level (the bass notes) and some recordings are at -13dB than you're in the safe zone. If you play a track with anything above -10dB the signal will be amplified by a factor of "X". If I understand it correctly, if you set a 1500W amp with a -10dB level, than it will provide 1500W at that level. If you than play a -8dB track, it's like turning up the bass boost on the amp. The amp will try to match the signal and want to reach it's headroom max and play the track at say 1600W which will probably cause it to clip. Because a value of -8dB is higher than a value of -10dB. I think that's why the guy who wrote the other post in the link I provided made it clear it depends on what type of music you listen to, bass boosted or not bass boosted.

Can someone please tell me if I am saying this right?

-Frank

Archived