Second Skin Audio

Hello,

Reading around I was not able to find a definitive answer to my questions, so I decided to take the initiative and experiment myself!

The question in mind is one alot of people seem to be having. WHERE SHOULD I POINT THE PORT AND SUBWOOFER TO MAXIMIZE SQ/SPL/SOUND TO EAR.

So let us get started shall we?

The truck in mind here is the ford extended cab, which is the same for many years(if someone can be more specific, feel free to chime in). These same boxes could obviously be used in other trucks, along with cars.

THE RESULTS HERE ARE ONLY SPECIFICALLY APPLICABLE TO THIS GENERATION OF FORD EXT CABS

The questions:

1. Does it make a difference where I put the box?

2. Does it make a difference if I fire the ports sideways(and if so, which way?), up, back, etc?

3. Does it make a difference If I fire the driver down, forwards, backwards, etc?

4. And finally, if the above does in fact make a difference, Which way is 'best'?

The above questions, and any others, I can answer with the experiment. This will be done so and documented over the next week.

As of now, I have designed the boxes in SketchUp, and layed them out in WinISD alpha. Both are EXTREMELY close on the Magnitude chart, so it should be as close as possible of a comparison. These boxes will be number 2 and 3 in my building career, however the first one turned out great

Attatched are the SketchUp files, as well as the project in WinISD alpha. If someone, or multiple, would look over the designs to make sure I did not miss anything and got the ports right, I would GREATLY appreciate it. The more eyes the better, right?

Boxes:

The boxes have IDENTICLE outside deminsions, and are extremely close in NET volume(not perfect due to different double baffles)

Tuned to 34.14 and 34.70, respectively

1) has the sub firing down, up, or forward depending on how I flip it, and the port to the side.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5su25z4c4152ht/Box_1%2C_Downfiring.skp

2) has the sub firing forwards, and the port up. This one could also be flipped to make it sub up, port any which way, or even sub back.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2k6y77ve49rq47d/Box_2%2C_Forward_firing.skp

The drivers to be used in this experiment are Sundown X-10 Version 2.

For later experiments they will likely be switched to SA-10s, as the X's will go in a future build.

This experiment will be extensively studied, as it will help me, among others, with future builds. This is my way of beginning my contribution to the community!

WinISD alpha file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cg2ha55b323affw/X10_Experiment.wpr

Early 1999 F-250 Powerstroke , Extended Cab

Current Audio Future plans

5 Cu Ft, shared chamber, 28hz

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

AQ1-2200.1 @ .5ohms Mechman 240 AMP Alt

2 Batteries stock + (1)XS Power D3400

Kenwood Head Unit

Well I don't have or know someone who has a meter. But if one setup is distinctive, then me, or several friends also listening, will notice. If not, then at least everyone who owns the same truck, or around the same year truck, can say it doesn't matter!

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Looks interesting, I'll take a look at your Sketchup files when I get back to my computer.

Do you have any way of measuring differences in output other than the ear-o-meter?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Re-read your post. How would I measure them accurately without a meter?

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Re-read your post. How would I measure them accurately without a meter?

You can't, that's why I asked. You don't necessarily need a Term-lab, some kind of calibrated mic would work too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Gotcha, I have decided to buy the new TL, but only when funds are avaliable. Which may or may not be this week. If funds are not available this week(most likely will be), I do not see the point in spending 100 bucks if I will be getting a TL by the end of the year.

It would be great to see numbers with this experiment though, even if they aren't accurate, at least it will be a comparison. However, for an hour I researched and looked around on eBay, only to find ones under 100$ would only read 120-130.

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Do you realize that these results will only be applicable to an extended cab ford? And only the specific box size you are testing? Changing any variable will change the outcome.

The results will only be useful for someone using the same vehicle, size of box, size of speaker and number of speakers you use.

Regardless, it's cool to experiment and you will learn from it. It just sounds like you are trying to pinpoint some hard and fast rules that will be applicable for many people and many situations. Every vehicle's acoustics are different, and the size of the box in that vehicle will also change the acoustics.

Archived