Second Skin Audio

Can someone justify DD prices?

matt scarlett

JL is a really reputable audio brand. Some hate that brand , just because they can't afford it. They often think they find better for cheaper. It's not so true.

I respect them a lot !

BOSE is different : they were the first, IIRC, with those small speakers and a separate bass enclosure for every home. They are not high end, but they found a market.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

JL is a really reputable audio brand. Some hate that brand , just because they can't afford it. They often think they find better for cheaper. It's not so true.

I respect them a lot !

BOSE is different : they were the first, IIRC, with those small speakers and a separate bass enclosure for every home. They are not high end, but they found a market.

actually you do find better for way cheaper.. im sure many on here can afford JL audio but the fact that you get more for your money going with other brands holds true

I respect them a lot !

Not 100% with you. I can afford it, and did buy many of their products including the C5 speakers and many amps!

I do have respect for their products having owned enough of it, however as I found with the SA-12, and Peerless subs, there is a lot better out there, and for a lot less.

I respect them a lot !

Not 100% with you. I can afford it, and did buy many of their products including the C5 speakers and many amps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCIwwHupiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6BoD0skWY

I do have respect for their products having owned enough of it, however as I found with the SA-12, and Peerless subs, there is a lot better out there, and for a lot less.

Better how? Are we comparing apples to apples here or...

• 3 weeks later...

I respect them a lot !

The SQ on the SA-12 and Peerless are far better and for a lot less. Again, the Peerless XLS 10 can be had for around £70, where the equivalent 10W3v3 is near £240 and there is no way that the 10W3v3 compares to the Peerless.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpeerless+xls.TRS0&_nkw=peerless+xls&_sacat=0

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/10w3v3-2-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92150

Peerless has won awards, albeit in the BKelectronics subwoofer.

The same could be said for the W6v3 in comparison to the SA-12 which was near 2.5 less than the JL. In terms of SPL JL really is a paperweight in comparison to both the Peerless and SA-12.

I do like JL, very much so, but in the face of so much competition, they really do slide down the scale a good few notches. And when it comes to price, JL shows you've got money to burn, and that you really haven't done your homework!

I keep on thinking that I want to do another 8" project with the 8W3v3, however in the face of so many 8" subs again the near £170 for the 8W3v3 seems steep against the likes of so many offerings.

I do think there's a fundamental issue with what people deem as SQ subs. I believe that too many look down on SPL orientated brands and conclude that they can't do SQ. IMO quite the opposite is true.

I will say one thing in favour of JL; there will be a day when I'll need to hang up the gloves and the future trouble and strife (wife) might say "Enough" or "We need the space for the baby's push chair" On that day, the CP108 will be my enclosure subwoofer of choice.

DD has more world records than any woofer brand in the world.

DD still dominates world finals even now that the `competition woofer` market is much larger

Until you own one you wont truely understand how impressive they are. However, the last few years IMO DD has become a little bit more overhyped than they used to be. The brand seemed to change what it stands for somewhat. But all the more power to them really.

Ive owned 2x w6.5s, 2x 2512s, 1x 3512, 1x 9512f, 1x 9515e, 1x 9912e, 4x 9912d -these old style motors were still good enough to get me 2nd at finals in Street C in 2007 against all the CRXs - and top SPL of 157.4 with ZERO woofer failures all year. In comparison the following year I used 6 kicker solo X 10s and would blow woofers every 4th or 5th full power burp like clockwork.

Theres a reason why Ive used them so many times....Im EXTREMELY confident in their ability to handle over twice rated power no problem.
However, of all those woofers the only ones Ive purchased new were the 2x w6.5s in 2002. The rest were either used or freshly reconed by DD. And Ive never blown one up. Ive blown a lot of woofers in my day, but not once have I blown a DD woofer. This includes running a pair of 2512s daily off of a stetsom 7kd, a single 9912 off of two memphis 4kws for burps, etc etc.

Bottom line....there are certainly cheaper woofers out there, yes. Better bang for the buck, Id say yes absolutely. But with a hobbylike this one where the environment is so dynamic and theres never one ``best`` woofer for the application.....there will always be a DD woofer in the conversation for which woofer is the best for the application.

My only advice...dont buy new.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
********LOOKING FOR NEW GROUND POUNDER TO BUILD********

1981 Malibu Wagon - Iron Block LS, Single Turbo, Nitrous, 6 Speed, Pump Gas, street car. --UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Goals are to make 1000 rwhp and 9 second quarter mile

1997 Explorer 157.8. Street C 2nd place 2007 San Mateo dbdrag world finals. (totalled)

I respect them a lot !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCIwwHupiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6BoD0skWY

The SQ on the SA-12 and Peerless are far better and for a lot less. Again, the Peerless XLS 10 can be had for around £70, where the equivalent 10W3v3 is near £240 and there is no way that the 10W3v3 compares to the Peerless.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpeerless+xls.TRS0&_nkw=peerless+xls&_sacat=0

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/10w3v3-2-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92150

Peerless has won awards, albeit in the BKelectronics subwoofer.

The same could be said for the W6v3 in comparison to the SA-12 which was near 2.5 less than the JL. In terms of SPL JL really is a paperweight in comparison to both the Peerless and SA-12.

I do like JL, very much so, but in the face of so much competition, they really do slide down the scale a good few notches. And when it comes to price, JL shows you've got money to burn, and that you really haven't done your homework!

I keep on thinking that I want to do another 8" project with the 8W3v3, however in the face of so many 8" subs again the near £170 for the 8W3v3 seems steep against the likes of so many offerings.

I do think there's a fundamental issue with what people deem as SQ subs. I believe that too many look down on SPL orientated brands and conclude that they can't do SQ. IMO quite the opposite is true.

I will say one thing in favour of JL; there will be a day when I'll need to hang up the gloves and the future trouble and strife (wife) might say "Enough" or "We need the space for the baby's push chair" On that day, the CP108 will be my enclosure subwoofer of choice.

I've heard the SA subs talked up a lot, but that right there might take the cake.

I've heard the SA subs talked up a lot, but that right there might take the cake.

It's not a matter of talking it up, but just showing what's out there. There are plenty of people who use the phrase

"You can buy better for less"

... then .... back it up with ....... absolutely no alternative suggestions. :unknw: To me, that doesn't come off as being too clever. If I say 'There's something better' i try and back it up with suggestions, or better still my own experiences.

But far from hating JL, I do admire and like JL. But again in the face of the many many brands popping up each week, competition now is not what is used to be back in 1975!!!

DD has more world records than any woofer brand in the world.

DD still dominates world finals even now that the `competition woofer` market is much larger

Until you own one you wont truely understand how impressive they are.

I've not owned one, I owned three, which in comparison to your experience, is small change B) But like JL, isn't that simply a function of the fact that they've been around for so long?

I appreciate the talk about quality, coils, xmax, power handling etc, but the problem is, the next sub comes along with 2mm more xmax, higher power handling, subs that can handle multiples of the rated power etc. Taking that kind of stance seems to be like the parable of the person who built their house on sand! Unless we're comparing a Z-series to a Funky Pup, shouting about such parameters (not in the T/S sense) seems to be null & void. At that price and design purposes, such things like build quality, over-power handling etc is a given surely?

Archived