Suggestions for new setup

Im getting back into this after 4 years off and starting from scratch in a new vehicle. Years ago I had a civic with 3 kinetik batteries, 220 amp alt., all 1/0 gauge and 7k watts on 2 10's.

Now I'm ready to do a build in my extended cab f250. I've ordered a dc xl12 and the box is built already. Im planning to run about 2000 watts to it for music, heres my questions:

1.) I have no room for a second battery so what should I replace the stock one with?

2.) Is 4 gauge power wire okay for everything?

3.) The stock alternator is 110 amp is that okay?

Thanks for any input, sorry for sounding like a noob.

TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

what year F250 kind of strange you wouldn't have something closer to 135amp unless its an older truck "pre superduty" where the f250 was really just an f150 with a better frame.... you cant add a second battery in the bed of the truck... this would let the 4awg cable flow better and have less loss...

F250's can run a secondary battery tray underhood, if it's a gas motor then you will most likely have to use a different air intake. The diesel rigs should have one factory, odd that yours wouldn't.

1/0 is basically a must.

You could get away with a 130a if you had a nice pair of batteries under the hood. Give or take, 2k on a stock charging system with some nice cable isn't too much to ask for.

note, doing basically the same setup in my f150. stock 130 or 140a alt, a group 65 agm underhood and a group 24 in the toolbox. Sundown 2k, and a 60 amp fused 2 channel. not worried about much.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Its an 07 gas 5.4L. I thought about changing the intake and throwing in a second battery under the hood but I would much rather get one big battery to replace the stock one. And I read somewhere online that its a 110 alt. If its 135 thats even better. Any suggestions on a specific battery(s)?

XS D6500 if you want to spend the money. I got an 06 F150, it may be the same charging system. If you want to spend $200 instead of $300+, I picked up a $200 Group 65 AGM from O'Reillys, looks to be Deka built I think. It's a Duracell or SuperStart or something. Didn't have the funds at the moment, will eventually be an XS Power though.

If you can, it would be best to run the XS underhood, then pickup a small auxilarry like a XP950 or XP750 to put in the cab, under the enclosure or something.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

replacements say 115amp and 130amp I cant find a way to tell the difference since they both use the large 3g case with the 3 sets of 2 holes on the front cover... the 115 lists f150 as compatible but the 130 says f250+... I cant see this being true but I dont know.... sounds goofy why a superduty would get a 115 and my 07 explorer gets a 130... odds are you would need more power because of the ability of pulling a larger trailer... is there a chance you have a lower end tow package?

I have no room at all inside the cab for an extra battery I know its good to have one near the amp but its just not possible. From what I'm seeing the xs d6500 is the best choice to replace the stock battery. Near where I live someone is selling 2 d3400's cheap, if I put both of them under the hood would that be better than a single d6500? Im not 100% on how the group size works.

Its a standard tow package I dont have an electric brake system but I would assume the f250 would have a larger alternator than the half ton models?

what year F250 kind of strange you wouldn't have something closer to 135amp unless its an older truck "pre superduty" where the f250 was really just an f150 with a better frame.... you cant add a second battery in the bed of the truck... this would let the 4awg cable flow better and have less loss...

How does adding a battery let 4ga wire flow better and have less loss?

How does adding a battery let 4ga wire flow better and have less loss?

the wires are shorter and in theory distribute the power better so voltage drop is lower... its a bitch to run a single 4awg wire 20+ feet but with that second battery your lead going to the amps and battery two can be less than 4 feet... 4awg can still flow 250-300 amps in short runs and I cant ever pass up the prices of SHCA CCA 4awg since its 20ft for $20 and I am probably only pushing 1500rms total

Archived