Second Skin Audio

Mounting Amp onto Subwoofer?

sniperlif3

I've mounted the amps to boxes and never had a problem. The internals of the amp is gonna vibrate no matter where in the car you put the amp.

Im running 3 PPI amps mounted to my box as I have no other place in my truck for them. Rubber isolators on them too. So far no issues for a year

2000 Ford Ranger Sport Ext

Digital Designs DD915J

4.91 net birch box, inch port @ 33hz

FSD FZ2600

FSD FZ100.4

Pioneer DEH80PRS

PRV Audio 6MB200-4 6-1/2" Midbass Woofers

Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters with Waveguide

I've mounted the amps to boxes and never had a problem. The internals of the amp is gonna vibrate no matter where in the car you put the amp.

Im running 3 PPI amps mounted to my box as I have no other place in my truck for them. Rubber isolators on them too. So far no issues for a year

Rubber isolators are the key.I actually almost always use at the min a small rubber gromet on amps.It helps hold the screws in place when mounting in hard to reach locations and gives a little isolation.You just put your mounting screws in,slide the grommet over the shank and it conveniently holds the screws while mounting and helps isolate it.Although on a box I use something more substantial.

I don't have any good pictures of my own so I would have to recommend looking up "Skyline R33 Trunk"

The area to the right of the battery tray is about 5 inches too small to fit the amp without having space for cables.

Underneath the floor of the trunk is the spare tire, and that would be a decent enough space except for it being an enclosed area and the walls are completely rounded rather than being flat like many other vehicles.

Apparently the Skyline has a decent enough plate behind the rear seats that might be good enough to mount on that I am going to check tomorrow as per another person.

Are there issues to mounting amps vertically? I read on the hifonics page that they recommend flat orientations.

Need pics.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

No Orion, it is going to be 2 15s in the back seat of an R33. I am trying to get some basic ideas to plan everything out before I just go at it and find out that I missed something.

This is some pictures of what it should look like. I am not sure if the hole on the first picture is actually there, I have seen some skylines with it, and others without it (metal plate mounted). These are not actual pictures of my vehicle but it is the same model. The area next to the battery in the last picture is maybe 12" and my amp is 16" without wires. I believe I can fit the amp to the floor under the seat, I will have it test fit tomorrow to check clearances.

11252098_639785349489136_951648564_n.jpg

DSC03568-1.jpgDSC03537.jpg

I dont think I will need a rack. I have heard of people making an MDF wall in front of the battery tray and mounting the amp to that but not only does that still take up the usable trunk space (not much I know), but it also makes it harder to access everything back there (batteries, fuses, wires, and I put my roadside kit back there as I need to have one in my car here in Germany).

I am going to test fit the amp under the passenger seat which should provide a bit more safety against amp theft.

Archived