Second Skin Audio

Air Space Needed?

RyanRosier

the longer distance the bass travels helps the wave develop... this is why most people face the subs/ports back unless you are sealing it off from the trunk or have limited space... IE pick up truck.... even in a SUV they go subs up / ports back for this reason.... if your wave does not develop before it gets to your ears then all it is doing is letting the car next to you enjoy it

the longer distance the bass travels helps the wave develop... this is why most people face the subs/ports back unless you are sealing it off from the trunk or have limited space... IE pick up truck.... even in a SUV they go subs up / ports back for this reason.... if your wave does not develop before it gets to your ears then all it is doing is letting the car next to you enjoy it

What? No. The wave does not need space to "develop". Your recommendation is good, but your reason behind it is not based in reality. If the wave needed space to "develop" all those people with B-pillar walls are doing it wrong.

The reason people face stuff back is to help reduce cancellation from the sound wave bouncing off the back of the trunk and being out of phase.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So with either a sealed or ported, what does facing the subs towards you do.

I have a regular cab truck and all I've ever worked with is just that, subs facing the seats, box as big as I can get, and then subs that will fit in the mounting depth. So that's why I am dumbfounded with anything to do with a car.

You always want to avoid as possible rattling and cancellation as both can have you lose output, in a trunk car you usually have everything firing back or firing everything firing forward sealing off (usually if your seats fold down), these are the most common and usually more successful ways to do it, also, one thing you don't want to fire anything up as most of the times this will lead to rattling.

What? No. The wave does not need space to "develop". Your recommendation is good, but your reason behind it is not based in reality. If the wave needed space to "develop" all those people with B-pillar walls are doing it wrong.

The reason people face stuff back is to help reduce cancellation from the sound wave bouncing off the back of the trunk and being out of phase.

I was just repeating what doug from soundman said in one of his videos... this must be a misconception many people have

I was just repeating what doug from soundman said in one of his videos... this must be a misconception many people have

Yeah, I think it is just one of many car audio misconceptions floating around. Like most, it has a nugget of truth to it. Doug Bernards is the man, but I'm not sure he is the most science focused individual.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Maybe Steve the Man himself will get on here and read this and just hook me up with something like he did the guy on the bike :yahoo:

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Archived