Sonic Electronix

Subsonic Filter Pros and Cons

Doesnt use a subsonic filter and makes multiple threads about subwoofers getting stinky when they play low.

#winning

Ok back out to the garage to get more work done. yay

I use a subsonic filter, plus those threads were when I knew very little. I only asked because somewhere I read a subsonic filter puts a damper on the low end (which is does eliminate low low freq.) and I play a lot of low songs. So I figured if I didn't use it I could gain a little on the low end when playing.

You use the subsonic filter to lower the volumes at the lower frequencies for example if you set it to 30hz then 29hz will be -1db then 28hz will be -2db then 27hz will be -3 db and so on, Something like that is my understanding of it. You adjust it to suit your setup, I personally don't use it at all because of my box/port type.

How much it attenuates depends on the slope. It's a nice safety feature if you aren't familiar with the limits of your setup or are just lazy like me and don't want to have to think about it. My box builder told me what to set mine too and since he's smarter than me I listened. Now, I could just figure out what songs I can't play and just simply not play those but I'd rather just be able to play whatever.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

How much it attenuates depends on the slope. It's a nice safety feature if you aren't familiar with the limits of your setup or are just lazy like me and don't want to have to think about it. My box builder told me what to set mine too and since he's smarter than me I listened. Now, I could just figure out what songs I can't play and just simply not play those but I'd rather just be able to play whatever.

I do know my limits, and yes that's exactly how I am lol. Be able to play anything is the best IMO.

I know my system's limits mostly, it's the music I am less familiar with. I can pretty much play down to 27 without worrying at all, be low that I have to be really paying attention. So I just set the subsonic to 27 (which is just as Kyle said a high pass filter) and stop thinking about it.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I know my system's limits mostly, it's the music I am less familiar with. I can pretty much play down to 27 without worrying at all, be low that I have to be really paying attention. So I just set the subsonic to 27 (which is just as Kyle said a high pass filter) and stop thinking about it.

Yeah I gotcha. I can play down to 23 or so pretty well. Box is tuned to 28, subsonic is at 18 hz because that is where it sounded best.. which was set with a cc1. Haven't had any kind of problem with the subs (knock on wood) lol

Archived